Aircraft Security

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rick James

If you overnight your aircraft at a field without 24 hour security, what precautions (if any) do you take? We are going into a field that does not even have adequate means to keep the locals off the ramp/runways. Would you consider hiring a security firm to watch the jet?
Maybe I'm paranoid???

Heck, we worry about leaving the aircraft overnight in Gary, Ind. I guess it would depend on what airport you are specifically talking about. I cannot think of an overnight on our aircraft that was at an airport without a security fence or 24 hour security. Must be a real podunk airport you are talking about.

On every overnight, and most of the time even when we leave the plane even for a few hours, we close all windows, pin the emergency exits, disconnect the batteries, and lock all doors and panels (fuel, gpu, hydraulic access, etc...).

Battery locks and alarm system.

We have had more damage done by "private security firms" than by locals.

IMHO - If you are that concerned you should drop and go.

It's, without a doubt, a podunk airport. We're planning on locking everything up, but we don't have an alarm system. I'm pretty concerned that we just may have to switch to a more secure airport.

If you overnight your aircraft at a field without 24 hour security, what precautions (if any) do you take? We are going into a field that does not even have adequate means to keep the locals off the ramp/runways. Would you consider hiring a security firm to watch the jet?
Maybe I'm paranoid???

Its very simple. Pay a locksmith $1,000, or whatever it takes, to put a Medeco lock on every engine cowling, door, baggage door and emergency exit door. Then get tamper-proof security tape and put it on every one of them when you walk away from the plane, that way you will know if anything was even opened if they somehow picked the lock.

We had to do this at my last 91 company, the boss was paranoid. If you do that you will have 100% assurance that noone at least entered the aircraft or opened any doors or baggage compartments. All they can do is damage the exterior if they want to.

***Just make sure if you do the emerg exit doors you get a couple "remove before flight" strips so you remember to unlock them before taxi.***

More extreme, you can get a paging system that will let you know if anyone even gets within 20 feet of the plane. Then you can haul azz to the airport if you want to. Cones that you place around the plane have sensors, you can't break the borders, no way, no how. Its pretty damn cool. Saw it NBAA, impossible to get in, even if you are dropped inside the borders from the air.

Latest resources

Back