Aircraft Repainting / Weight and Balance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilot12345

If someone has their privatetly owned aircraft repainted (example a Cessna 172) is there a FAR that requires that aircraft to get re weighed / new weight and balance numbers? I have looked in Part 91 and 43 but can't find my answer.

Thank's for your help!

Paint on an aircraft accounts for substantial weight; more than you might think. If an aircraft is painted, a new weight and balance must be calculated. If one cannot obtain the moment and weight of the paint (one can't, without weighing the aircraft), then putting it on scales and obtaining new numbers is the only way to go.

Most aircraft require rebalancing of the control surfaces if they are painted, or stripped; paint can have a significant effect on the balance and safety of control surfaces...particularly the ailerons.

On the Cessna 152 the paint weighs 8-9 lbs. depenidng on the option ordered for the paint. This is according to the equipment list that came with the new airplane. Your results may be different depending a how you preped the aircraft, type of product used and how much you spray on and where. The balance of the flight controls is required, and yes the weight and balance must be recalculated for a repaint.

Interestingly, the factory is only required to actually weigh one out of 10 aircraft, the total moment, weight and CG can be calculated on the rest. If the same materials are used with good workmanship, I doubt seriously whether actually weighing the aircraft after re painting would produce any different numbers for moment, weight and CG.

W(h)eather the numbers actually change or not is irrelevant.

A manufacturer has a lot of options that the average mechanic does not...but a mechanic approving an aircraft for return to service must be able to verify, among other things, an accurate weight and balance. If an aircraft has been repainted and the weight or balance potentially altered, it must be weighed to make a determination of the weight and center of gravity. On a small aircraft, the weight isn't legion, but on a large aircraft, the weight change can be hundreds of pounds. Even changes in types of paint, paint thicknesses, etc, can have a significant effect.

avbug said:
Even changes in types of paint, paint thicknesses, etc, can have a significant effect.

I heard a rumor that United went to their white scheme because the white paint has less pigment than the gray, so it weighs less, thus reducing fuel comsumption. Anybody know one way or the other?

American went with bare metal and stripes for colors for the same reason.

Personally, I think nothing looks better than deeply polished aluminum, even though it's a bear to maintain.

Take if from someone who polished a B24 by hand, daily.

Latest resources

Back