Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I'm wondering if there is typically any type of limit as to how long you can rent an aircraft durring a single period. For example, can you rent an aircraft for an entire week, so long as you pay up in the end? Also, are there typically any types of limits regarding how far you can take the plane from the airport? Just wondering. I think it would be neat after getting a certificate to fly to another state for a couple days. I mean, you're only going to have to pay for engine hours, no?

The rental contract we had on our rental 172 for a situation like you described stated that you'd be charged a minimum of 3 hours flight time per 24 hours you had the airplane. If you flew the airplane only 1.5 hours during that 24 hours, you were charged for 3 hours. If you flew 5 hours during that same 24, you'd simply be charged what your flight time was. This seems to be typical in the various rental contracts I've seen.

As for how far you can take the airplane, I dont recall ever seeing a max distance disclaimer on the rental contract. And why? The farther away you fly, the more time there going to get to bill you for!

One piece of advice though if your going to be keeping it off field for a weekend... be sure and check that little box on the rental agreement that entitles you to renters insurance. Normally its only about $5 and covers just about anything that could happen to the airplane.

UnAnswerd said:
I'm wondering if there is typically any type of limit as to how long you can rent an aircraft durring a single period. For example, can you rent an aircraft for an entire week, so long as you pay up in the end? Also, are there typically any types of limits regarding how far you can take the plane from the airport? Just wondering. I think it would be neat after getting a certificate to fly to another state for a couple days. I mean, you're only going to have to pay for engine hours, no?
I think the main limitation would be if you want to take the plane to Canada or Mexico. Most operators might get a bit twitchy about that if they even allow it. For a long trip (not just to a nearby state), some operators might want you to put some money down if you're going to put a lot of time on an airplane.

Some operators have daily minimums for their airplanes; make sure you know the rules concerning that before you even fly with an FBO. It'd really suck to fly a 172 6 hours in a week and get billed for 10 (2 hrs/day).

You definitely need to get renter's insurance when you rent an airplane. If you were to prang it, the insurance on the aircraft only covers the owner of the airplane, not you.

You should most certainly take a flight to another state after you get your certificate. Preferably at a fairly low altitude. That's why you got it, right?

C

Renting sucks period. If you plan on doing any flying out of the local area at all, get into a partnership.

Even if there are 10 partners for the airplane you'll be much better off than any rental.

Not to mention far far safer.

It depends on who you know in this situation it's not what you know or how fat your wallet is. and I rent alot!!!! (ex CFI and work full time as a sr. system administrator) my pay check dose not allow me to own. But I have flown out of this FBO for such a long time that I have been able to rent the AC for an entire month and only pay for time flown and fuel.( and kick down a hundred or so under the table)

In other words get to know someone and treat the AC and the person right, and you will be able to fly any place you want.

User997 said:
The rental contract we had on our rental 172 for a situation like you described stated that you'd be charged a minimum of 3 hours flight time per 24 hours you had the airplane. If you flew the airplane only 1.5 hours during that 24 hours, you were charged for 3 hours. If you flew 5 hours during that same 24, you'd simply be charged what your flight time was. This seems to be typical in the various rental contracts I've seen.

As for how far you can take the airplane, I dont recall ever seeing a max distance disclaimer on the rental contract. And why? The farther away you fly, the more time there going to get to bill you for!

One piece of advice though if your going to be keeping it off field for a weekend... be sure and check that little box on the rental agreement that entitles you to renters insurance. Normally its only about $5 and covers just about anything that could happen to the airplane.

gkrangers said:
dropped by today to rent a Warrior for an hour, and the owner made me go up in the pattern for 2 landings with a CFI. Some people don't change...always out to make that extra 10 bucks.
Huh? I'm new to flying, but that sounds a little excessive! The warrior is only a single-engine, no? You'd thing a certificate would be proof enough of responsible aircraft operation...

UnAnswerd said:
Huh? I'm new to flying, but that sounds a little excessive! The warrior is only a single-engine, no? You'd thing a certificate would be proof enough of responsible aircraft operation...

LOL it all comes down to the people!!!!!

I saw a 182 that was rented to a someone who was a flying for the majors. Returned the AC with dimpled wings all the way across the leading edge (they where about ripped off) again it's who you know not what you know! I have met some arrogant asses in my life I can see why people would want to re-coupe money.

It all depends on your flight school.

My school used to charge a minimum number of hours per day if you took an airplane out for a full day. I think it was like 3 hrs or something on the weekends and 2hrs on the weekdays.

So you pay the minimum and take the plane. The trick is scheduling it for such a long period (an entire weekend). Our planes were booked a month in advance or more.

I would check with the school on their policies. My school also only let the 172 and largers out for the whole day because all the 152s were involved in intense training.

Vik

UnAnswerd said:

UnAnswerd said:
Huh? I'm new to flying, but that sounds a little excessive! The warrior is only a single-engine, no?
Once you've flown a Piper you can always fly a Piper.

I recently did a test flight in a Piper Dakota my friend was wanting to purchase, and after more then a year of flying a King Air and Citation, with very minimal time in a 172, I flew and landed that Piper like I had 5,000 hours in it! Even had the stall horn going off at touchdown. Some things you just never lose.

But you have to understand from an owners standpoint, if that was your airplane out there that you had spent $100,000 on purchasing and insuring, would you really be comfortable just letting anyone that shows up at the airport with a logbook jump into that and takeoff flying? Probably not, logbooks lie, and some people aren't as great of a gift to aviation as the rest!

Flying is an expensive hobby, much compared to having a drug habit, and the way I always think about it is that if you can't afford to do two laps around the pattern getting a checkout, then maybe flying is too expensive for you. I always enjoy getting checked out in new airplanes anyways, jsut so I can pick the CFI's head about that particular airplane and find out what all the quirks and personality of that particular airplane is before I set out renting it for a large period of time.

Other rental limitations might include...

No operations at grass strip airports

No overflying the Great Lakes.

Latest resources

Back