• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aircraft Oxygen Bottles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First, how do you know it's your O2 bottle leaking and not one of your O2 masks? What's the leak rate per day?

If your oxygen system isn't holding oxygen, then obviously it needs to be fixed. Perhaps I missed something, but I think you just asked if when a system is found to be malfunctioning, should you ignore it, or fix it. Is this so? Of course you fix it.

If the system is bleeding down, the source of the leak must be located and the problem solved, period. A bottle should never leak. If the bottle is leaking, you have a major problem and definitely should not fill the system or put it under pressure. Leaks occur at joints and fittings, and at the mask.

Gas pressure lines leak the gas under pressure around threaded fittings, cracks in lines, at the mask. If a soap solution is sprayed onto each potential leak site, bubbles will form where the gas leaks. What type of soloution depends on the gas. In this case, oxygen. You can't use any soloution with a petroleum base, because it reacts with with the oxygen. While some mechanics will use a dishsoap solution, a special solution is sold just for use with oxygen systems which doesn't leave a deposit, doesn't attract dirt or contaminants, and doesn't react with oxygen.

Finding and fixing the leak isn't preventative mx, especially with an oxygen system. Simple mistakes like improper use of sealant tapes or compounds can cause big problems in the oxygen system, to say nothing of improper torque on fittings, line flarings, etc.

Fix it.

Depends on the operation but at the airlines the whole bottle must be replaced you cant just re-fill it, but of course you want to find the leak so it wont happen again.

I think you're asking if there is any special inspection on the bottle itself because the pressure dropped to zero, like in scuba tanks?

I'm not quite sure but you should probably send it to overhaul to make sure that no crap or water got in there. Cheap insurance for when you need it.

Check your type/model/series maintenance manual for specifics, but generally after a leak is located and repaired, the system must be purged before the airplane is released for service.

Also refer to your component maintenance manual, but your bottle may required a special internal inspection before servicing if the pressure was allowed to be reduced to less than 50 psi.

That was it, is there any special procedure since it went really low? Obviously it needs to be fixed but is there more?

Depends on the bottle and system. Generally if the pressure drops and the bottle is within it's life limits, hydrostatic tests, and pressurization cycles (if applicable), then you'll do nothing more than purge the system and refill once the leak has been located and fixed.

In many cases, once the leak has been located and handled, the bottle will simply be refilled.

Different requirements apply to composite, aluminum, or steel bottles or tanks.

If the pressures went below a certain level (I forget what it is off the top pf my head) then the bottle must be sent to a shop to be serviced and have a new / overhauled certification issued, once it's empty or below that level you can't just fill it up at the local FBO.

That is not correct as a general rule. Certain systems may have this as a requirement, but this is not a standard practice with all oxygen systems.

Latest resources

Back