Aircraft moving

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eskimo_ghost

Looking for information on who to contact about ferrying a/c.
Would you just contact companies that sell a/c?
Also If anyone knows the where to find info on fire watch & pipeling patrol I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

Here is an idea. Why don't you go out and get your CFI.

Simon, I like that avatar, it's a hoot.

I looked into pipeline patrol, and spoke to a guy at Duke energy in Texas. He told me that pipeline work is no longer entry-level flying. He said he had apps from guys who have over 5,000 hours.

All that was BEFORE September 11th.

Ferrying often requires time in type experience, due to insurance.

Timebuilder,

I got it just for the RJDC guys and gals.

Bonanza Ferrying

I know some guys that need their Bonanza ferried to the Bahamas every once in a while. Their insurance requires 750 TT and 100 in type for casual pilots. If you meet these requirements, you can PM me for more info.

The U.S. Forestry Service requires 1500 t.t., a Pt. 135 VFR checkride, and a checkride with one of their check airmen before you can pilot a 172 for them.

You might check with your state's Division of Natural Resources, Game and Fish, or whatever they call it where you are to learn who the contractors are. The state requirements for fire patrol\other types of survey flights probably are less stringent.

If you're in Michigan, try calling the airport manager at Roscommon Co. Conservation airport. The state DNR flies a lot of fire patrols out of that airport. He/She could probably give you some information that would help you locate the people you need to send a resume to.

The flight school I worked for in N.W. Arkansas flew a contract for the Arkansas Game and Fish department. They'd send us out for a maximum of two hours, average twice a week to count fishermen on a particular lake. To my knowledge, there was no minimum time requirement, but only the school's flight instructors flew the flights.

Good luck!

You might also want to think about flying traffic watch, or being an elevator operator (skydiver pilot). Pursue your CFI if you wish as well. Post 9/11 the instructional route will be just as tight as any of these other jobs, there are just too many pilots and not enough jobs. This is just the way it was in the early Ninties though my suspicion is that it is worse now.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

This is about the same as it was ten years ago...it just seems worse because of the unreal prosperity that attended the closing of the 1990's.

The industry has always run in 10 year cycles, and the first part of the decade is always bad. Anticipate some improvement over the next year or two, but probably 2005-2006 before anything significant starts to pickup.

I could be wrong. I hope so.

Latest resources

Back