Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PUNISHER

You got any tinfoil?
A good friend just told me he seen an aircraft in flames and pieces at KMGN (Harbour Springs, MI). The source is non-aviation but he described it as some sort of twin engine prop. Whoever it is I hope their alright.

I heard it was a cessna 425 out of Toledo,haven't seen anything on the news or the web about it though

Found a small article in a Traverse City paper; pilot + 2 pax. Minor injuries to 2 of them. Out of Ohio.

Harbor Airport
By Steve Zucker News-Review staff writer
Monday, January 15, 2007 12:37 PM EST
news3.jpg
An unidentified man looks over the snow fence-encircled wreckage of a twin-engine airplane at the Harbor Springs Airport Sunday. The airplane crashed while landing at the airport Friday. (Steve Zucker/News-Review)
HARBOR SPRINGS — A pilot and two passengers aboard a small airplane escaped serious injury when the airplane crashed while landing at the Harbor Springs Airport Friday.

Emmet County Sheriff Pete Wallin identified the occupants of the airplane as the pilot, Thomas Corbin, 49, from Perrysburg, Ohio, and his passengers, Dena Nachtrab, 34, of Brinthaven, Ohio, and Jamie Supinski, 30, from Toledo, Ohio. Corbin and Nachtrab were transported to Northern Michigan Hospital by Allied EMS where they were treated for their injuries and released.

Wallin said the crash happened at about 6:33 p.m. as the twin-engine Cessna Corsair twin turboprop was attempting to land heading from east to west.

The flight departed from Toledo Express Airport in Toledo at about 5:34 p.m.

Wallin said he had few details about the circumstances surrounding the crash other than an initial statement from the pilot saying that as he was coming in the plane began to “buck” and then overturned and crashed.

Harbor Springs resident Don Arman said was on his way to Petoskey with his wife and grandchildren when they saw the aircraft approaching from the east. He said he stopped his vehicle at the east end of the runway so the children could watch the airplane land.

Arman said as the plane flew over their vehicle, he and his wife noticed the plane was “wobbling a bit.”

“He kept coming down, but he kept going back and fourth,” Arman said. “He almost got on the ground when it made a dive to the left and the left wing hit the ground, it flipped over and burst into flames right away.”

A surprised Arman then called 9-1-1 to report the crash.

Arman said he was surprised to learn that the occupants of the plane survived the crash with relatively minor injuries.

“I have no idea how they got out,” Arman said. “I thought for sure anybody in there wasn’t going to make it.”

He said when crews from the Harbor Springs Fire Department arrived a short time later, the flames from the wreckage had died down considerably.

Arman, a retired sheriff’s deputy, noted that there was no precipitation falling at the time of the crash, but said the pilot appeared to be facing a stiff crosswind.

The 1984 model aircraft is owned by Lyden Air Co. of Toledo.

Wallin said officials from the Federal Aviation Administration were on the scene investigating the crash Saturday. The crash remains under investigation.

Latest resources

Back