Airbuses increasing rapidly?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DrEvil

Just got back from a trip across the US. 99% of my flights were on an Airbus! It's sad to see our home grown Boeing is sinking thanks to purchases of Airbus.

Is Airbus that much better?

Is Airbus that much more cost effective?

Is Airbus simply better than Boeing?

A long time ago Boeing was a risk-taking forward thinking company willing to bet the company's very existence on it's visionary products. Think back to the B-47, which was soon followed by the B-52. These two airplanes gave Boeing the expertise and experience to build the most advanced and innovative jetliner of its day - the 707. Boeing rapidly developed a family of jetliners including the 737-100 and -200, the 727-100 and -200, and the 707-120 (and the similar 720), -320 and -420. These jetliners cost the company billions in today's dollars to develop but the leaders of Boeing knew that by developing a family of efficient, well built jetliners they could develop a loyal customer base of airlines willing to purchase Boeing's entire product line to serve their needs.

Boeing's biggest risk was in the development of the 747. Boeing executives knew that if they failed to attract substantial orders for their new jumbo, then their company was doomed. They basically bet the house on the airplane. Obviously it was a huge success and the rest is history.

Fast forward to today. Since the early 70's Airbus has been on a mission to take market share from Boeing and eventually dominate the market with a family of airplanes for every need. Well, they've done it. While Boeing executives have managed to stifle the company's vision by being risk-averse (other than some stupid, expensive acquisitions of competitor aerospace companies) and have attempted to branch out and away from their core business, which is building airliners, Airbus has managed to develop a very successful family of airliners that are newer, more advanced, and more fuel efficient than Boeing's products, which are all based on designs that have their origins in the 1960's and 70's (yes, the 757 and 767 were both designed in the late 70's). Airbus has a series of fly-by-wire airliners that cover the market from small to large. They have the A-318, the A-319, the A-320, and the A-321. In the widebody department they have the A-330-200 and 300, and the A-340-200, 300, 500, and 600. Finally, Airbus has the pending A-380, which will finally trump anything Boeing can offer. Airbus has everything to offer to any potential customer. Boeing has one fly-by-wire airliner - the 777. They have another coming along, maybe.

It seems clear that in the last 30 years, Airbus has done their homework, while Boeing has patted itself on the back for being the best at what it did for so many years.

I'm a huge Boeing fan and always have been. It just pains me to see where Boeing has been headed in this industry for so long and you can't blame Airbus for it.

I hope Boeing turns it around, but it's going to take 15 to 30 years to do it.

Last edited:
Could it be that Airbus sells aircraft at a loss to increase market share ? Surely not. :rolleyes:

As AAsRedheadedBro correctly points out the fault has a lot to do with Boeing's arrogance and mis-management. Airbus offers a well thought out product line with flight deck commonality that saves on training costs. Airline management would be stupid to ignore the financial benefits. Witness Etihad's recent purchase decision to go with A330, A340, and A380s instead of 767, 777, 747 which would all require different type ratings.

TP

Last edited:
I think AAsRedHeadedbro had a few good and solid points. Boeing has failed to take on Airbus head to head but more importantly they really don't have the means to match them present day in my opinion. If the cost is right then they will buy, a good example was the deal that seemed wrapped, sealed, and ready to be delivered with Spirit who ultimately went with Airbus instead of Boeing. I look for some big changes in marketing, philosophy, and strategy within Boeing in the very near future.

How badly is Boeing really doing? It is difficult to say but even with a tanking US airline industry they still seem to be getting quite a few orders from the foreign carriers. I think a lot of concern is being shown here in the states due to the large numbers of Airbus's being ordered and delivered but keep in mind that is probably somewhat small in comparison to the larger picture.

I would say that Airbus seems to have the upper hand in my opinion. I just don't see that "winning" vision within Boeing that was once upon a long time ago present.

It should be quite interesting to see how Boeing handles this increasing competition...

Anyone have the number of Airbus orders in comparison to Boeing's for this year as well as last years numbers?. I couldn't seem to locate this link, had it but lost it.

3 5 0

AAsRedHeadedbro said:
A long time ago Boeing was a risk-taking forward thinking company willing to bet the company's very existence on it's visionary products. Think back to the B-47, which was soon followed by the B-52. These two airplanes gave Boeing the expertise and experience to build the most advanced and innovative jetliner of its day - the 707. Boeing rapidly developed a family of jetliners including the 737-100 and -200, the 727-100 and -200, and the 707-120 (and the similar 720), -320 and -420. These jetliners cost the company billions in today's dollars to develop but the leaders of Boeing knew that by developing a family of efficient, well built jetliners they could develop a loyal customer base of airlines willing to purchase Boeing's entire product line to serve their needs.

Boeing's biggest risk was in the development of the 747. Boeing executives knew that if they failed to attract substantial orders for their new jumbo, then their company was doomed. They basically bet the house on the airplane. Obviously it was a huge success and the rest is history.

Fast forward to today. Since the early 70's Airbus has been on a mission to take market share from Boeing and eventually dominate the market with a family of airplanes for every need. Well, they've done it. While Boeing executives have managed to stifle the company's vision by being risk-averse (other than some stupid, expensive acquisitions of competitor aerospace companies) and have attempted to branch out and away from their core business, which is building airliners, Airbus has managed to develop a very successful family of airliners that are newer, more advanced, and more fuel efficient than Boeing's products, which are all based on designs that have their origins in the 1960's and 70's (yes, the 757 and 767 were both designed in the late 70's). Airbus has a series of fly-by-wire airliners that cover the market from small to large. They have the A-318, the A-319, the A-320, and the A-321. In the widebody department they have the A-330-200 and 300, and the A-340-200, 300, 500, and 600. Finally, Airbus has the pending A-380, which will finally trump anything Boeing can offer. Airbus has everything to offer to any potential customer. Boeing has one fly-by-wire airliner - the 777. They have another coming along, maybe.

It seems clear that in the last 30 years, Airbus has done their homework, while Boeing has patted itself on the back for being the best at what it did for so many years.

I'm a huge Boeing fan and always have been. It just pains me to see where Boeing has been headed in this industry for so long and you can't blame Airbus for it.

I hope Boeing turns it around, but it's going to take 15 to 30 years to do it.
Well said. I've been saying this for years and I've been getting a lot of flak for it. Nobody wants to face the fact that Boeing does not want to make civilian airplanes anymore. Rather, they want lucrative government defense contracts.

What about the new 7e7 boeing is developing? Does anyone know what type of market that is suppose to fit into? ie: long haul over seas or the domestic continental market.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back