• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airbus sound question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you turn on the yellow electric pump you never have that noise..

Yellow electric pump on or not, single engine ops with the #2 engine running will cause the PTU to operate.
(unless the parking break is set)

I still turn the PTU off at shutdown until at least a cargo door is opened (which actuates the yellow hydraulic pump). This usually resolves the barking dog issue which is at its worst at engine shutdown at the gate.

This leads to the problem of a pilot developing his own procedures. A FO sees this, passes it on to another Captain, who thinks it's a good idea and now we have a training notice on how not to turn off the PTU. Submitting this to the training dept. may be a better option. Then again some might just call it a technique.

Technique. And a welcome one. Most annoying thing about flying the Airbus is folks that are afraid of pissing off HAL, and thusly disengage their brains and fly like an automaton.

At US Airways, we also run the yellow electric pump during single eng taxi. However, before turning eng #2, we actually turn the yellow pump off so we can test the PTU. I know it's annoying for the pax, but at least we know it works if we need it.

Technique. And a welcome one. Most annoying thing about flying the Airbus is folks that are afraid of pissing off HAL, and thusly disengage their brains and fly like an automaton.

No. Many pilots have such a superficial understanding of how the airplane works that they screw things up when they begin to make up their own procedures.

Take Alpha Floor demonstrations during low passes at euopean airshows for instance...

Where's the procedure for turning on the chart holder light? Can't find it in my manual, I guess I won't touch that switch either.

No. Many pilots have such a superficial understanding of how the airplane works that they screw things up when they begin to make up their own procedures.

Take Alpha Floor demonstrations during low passes at euopean airshows for instance...

I'd like to see you draw a more rational comparison than turning off a backup pump when shutting down the airplane at the destination and intentionally flying a plane at the trees waiting for the plane to save itself. Are you friggin' serious?

Latest resources

Back