Airbus Blames AA For Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
VMA214 "Dude"

He edited his post to delete his reference to speaking to an AA Airbus 320 pilot, and corrected it. As a matter of fact, you used his edited quote in your post.

But, thanks for your concern...Dude

VMA214,

trainerjet is right, I mistakenly put A-320 instead of A-300, which he rightly pointed out and I changed.

Typhoonpilot states:

American's Advanced Manuever Program or whatever they called it by Captain Van Derberghe ( Sp? ) was very informative and I quite liked the videos but it was based on information applicable to military fighter aircraft not modern Jet Transports. Boeing and Airbus both freaked out when they saw what was being taught to the American pilots in regards to rudder usage during unusual attitude manuevers. As a result it is my understanding that the program is no longer being taught. Perhaps VMA214 has better info on that as it appears they have changed recently.

Did you see this video?

And you may be right about the AA pilot I spoke to, his observations may have been incorrect.

It is too early to draw conclusions and we don’t have all the facts, hopefully the NTSB will.

trainerjet is right, I mistakenly put A-320 instead of A-300, which he rightly pointed out and I changed.
TJ and redd,
It took me (being a former Jarhead) a few minutes to figure out what was going on but I finally did figure it out. My apologies if I hurt TJ's feelings with my admittedly condescending remark.

Yeah, I did see the video and from my limited recall, I don't remember him saying anything about using "full" rudder.

I have my doubts whether the NTSB will ever come out with a definitive cause of this accident. But I do think we all learned some things about the rudder!!!

Hey VMA214,

That’s Ok, some of my good friends are (ex) Jarheads.:cool:

You stay safe now.....

Redd:

Yes, I have seen the video. Actually there is more than one. It is an excellent program that explains some of the fundamentals of large aircraft aerodynamics in laymens terms. However they have some contoversial information and training in regards to use of automation and some of the unusual attitude recoverys. It has been some time since I have seen them and I don't have access now so I hesitate to be specific, but I do recall comments on use of rudder during unusual attitude maneuvers.

Mind you, nowhere do I remember the instruction from these vidoes to use full rudder for wake turbulence recovery, nor in my previous post am I suggesting that is what the crew of the accident aircraft did.

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back