• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whale Rider

Unity is Our Strength
Airbus A380
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Thrust reversers are one of the items that are often faulty in service. The A380 was initially planned to do away with thrust reversers as it has more than enough braking capacity. The FAA disagreed and Airbus elected to fit the 2 inboard engines with them. The A380 features electrical actuated thrust reversers. This gives better reliability than their pneumatic or hydraulic equivalents beside saving considerable weight.

2 Thrust Reversers on a 4 engine airplane...inventive way to save weight.

Last edited:
I can see the MEL now

Thrust Reverser:

Number installed: 2

Number required for dispatch: none.

They only put two because the outboard engines are too close to the dirt beside the runway....

:rolleyes:Won't be long and you will be reading about one of these things "over-running" the runway! NEXT QUESTION!!

Airbus's engineers wrote that they had originally designed the jet with 4 TR's, but needed to save weight so they cut the TR's to two.

I just talked to a FDX guy who has been to Tolouse and flown the sim.He says ours will have two sleep rooms, each with a bed and a desk. 3 jumpseats in the cockpit. All this is closed off from the courier compartment up top, which will hold the galley and 8 first class seats....

????

Tomct said:
:rolleyes:Won't be long and you will be reading about one of these things "over-running" the runway! NEXT QUESTION!!

Unless they've changed something in the way they certify the performance, the landing/rto distances will all be based on T/R's anyway just brakes and spoilers. Additionally I think I read somewhere that at the highest landing weight, that approach speed is somewhere in the low 130's which should be a big help in stopping it.

FWIW the new carbon brakes are more effective if they are heated prior to use. On the 777, we deploy the T/R's on landing but only in idle (unless your about to pull a AF in Toronto!). This allows the brakes to properly heat and to last much longer. So it really doesn't suprise me they put t/r's only on the inboards, especially with all the rumors of it being overweight.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back