Air Wisconsin Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

I'm in the info gathering stage here so I have a few questions for guys at Air Wis:

1) When does your seniority date start? Is it day one of training or after training is complete?

2) If someone is in the Air Guard and they are actived, does the clock keep ticking on the probation year or do they have to finish whatever was remaining upon returning?

3) What aircraft are the junior people being assigned to? What domiciles? Any choice in the matter?

4) What's the thought on the new ATL domicile? Will it go junior or senior?

5) What kind of travel benefits do you and your family get with United (if any)?

6) It seems times are good there right now...what's the biggest possible problem on the horizon?

That's all I can think of for now...Thanks for the help guys!

1) When does your seniority date start? Is it day one of training or after training is complete?

A: Your seniority starts the first day of Indoc. Seniority within your class goes by age. The oldest being most senior. You're pay starts on the first day too.

2) If someone is in the Air Guard and they are activated, does the clock keep ticking on the probation year or do they have to finish whatever was remaining upon returning?

A: Good question, I'll pass that one along and see if I can get an answer. Something to keep in mind though is that probation is pretty much a non-issue. You do your work, study for your PC and AirWis wants to keep you around.

3) What aircraft are the junior people being assigned to? What domiciles? Any choice in the matter?

A: Back in my day (About March of '01) All three aircraft were available with the RJ going Senior, 328 middle of the road and 146 going fairly junior. TODAY, things are much different. The latest newhires got 328's in Denver, but as I understand it, the CRJ was awarded to a few in Chicago. Before long the 328 will be filled up and I'm GUESSING that the CRJ will be the usual award.

4) What's the thought on the new ATL domicile? Will it go junior or senior?

A: Lot's of folks here happy to hear about Atlanta. I'm GUESSING it won't be available for newhires for some time.

5) What kind of travel benefits do you and your family get with United (if any)?

A: You and your wife and kids (up to 21?) get unlimited write-your-owns for United and United Express. No cost at all unless your going first class international in a three class cabin. Then you pay a tax per mile traveled. Something like $0.004 per mile.
Our buddy passes are still being redone, as the IRS had some questions about the billing or taxes or something. They'll be available to your friends once they're reinstated. NO news about the AirTran side yet. We're told that's in the works.

6) It seems times are good there right now...what's the biggest possible problem on the horizon?

A: Short answer is yes, but it isn't wise to say that too loud. It's a tough time in the industry and some others feel we're stepping on toes to succeed. The biggest problem on the horizon is that our biggest interest right now, United, is having trouble. They're fixing their problems and some of the solutions might include us, but I still don't get 'warm-fuzzies' every time I hear financial troubles about United in the news. Our guys went through the roof when we were told about AirTran JetConnect. So nice to see our company expanding our horizons!

Good Luck, and I'll try to get an answer about number 2.

S.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back