Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

freeflyer14

Where's that reserve?
What will happen to Air Wisoconsin if United doesn't make it? I am not trying to be a jackass, start a pissing match, or anything like that, just purely interested. Will they do an ACA = Indy air thing, etc? What is going on with United now? Thanks.

when awac took the concessions a year ago wasnt part of the deal that awac would get alot more flying and if they didnt, the concessions would go away? just curious how much more growth in terms of airplanes does awac have now vs. before they took any paycuts?

freeflyer14 said:
What will happen to Air Wisoconsin if United doesn't make it? I am not trying to be a jackass, start a pissing match, or anything like that, just purely interested. Will they do an ACA = Indy air thing, etc? What is going on with United now? Thanks.
Air Wisconsin has been around for a long time and is very conservative in their planning. AWAC is privately held and I'm confident that they at least have some kind of contingency plan to protect their assests. That may not necessarilly include remaining in the airline business though. The owners are multigazzillionaires and seem to like owning/running an airline. It's their version of golf or tennis. They would be bored without it so I'd bet they find a way to continue with it.

ThisistheDream said:
when awac took the concessions a year ago wasnt part of the deal that awac would get alot more flying and if they didnt, the concessions would go away? just curious how much more growth in terms of airplanes does awac have now vs. before they took any paycuts?
AWAC has orders for some more RJ's but is not taking delivery because UAL is not offering a long enough contract (5 years isn't enough) to warrant taking them on. Conservative and safe thinking.

so do the concessions go away until there is a safe idea for growth then. It seems like the concessions where taken with the notion that awac would get more planes and BIG grow with the UAL contract which if concessions where taken but now that UAL seems like a unsafe idea the concessions should go away since big growth was part of the deal right? you have to hate mgt at times when they say one thing and do the other.. the norm in this industry

Misconceptions

ThisistheDream said:
so do the concessions go away until there is a safe idea for growth then. It seems like the concessions where taken with the notion that awac would get more planes and BIG grow with the UAL contract which if concessions where taken but now that UAL seems like a unsafe idea the concessions should go away since big growth was part of the deal right? you have to hate mgt at times when they say one thing and do the other.. the norm in this industry
This was a big misconception during the concession talks. Because of the "he said, she said" and "I heard this from so and so" the belief came about that if we gave concessions then we would see growth, growth and growth. NO NO NO! The concessions were clearly spelt out that in order to continue to fly for UAL (and enter a competitive bid against MESA and the like) we would have to cut costs.

Furthermore by gaining a contract with UAL (as the previous contract and rates would go away - see ACA) this would ensure continued flying and the delivery of the already ordered RJ's for United (70 airframes). Not a new aircraft arriving every 2 weeks until who knows when. UAL had an RJ number in mind and this has been split between several carriers.

Because of this misconception and 'bending' of the facts from hear-say, I, as many others believe that it got voted in 1st time around as junior pilots believed that deliveries would continue indeffinatly and upgrades would be quick. For those on the property at the time that would mean a fleet size twice what it is now but UAL only had 70 RJ airframes and 17 146's slated for us.

Yes the company have options on more aircraft, in fact before UAL chap 11 the company had 75 firm orders and options on 75 more, they still hold some of the options! UAL say they need more aircraft but are only willing to offer short term contracts for them and the company could be left holding the notes on dozens of aircraft with no flying for them in a couple of years. I wouldn't take that risk either!

Latest resources

Back