• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Wisconsin Deicing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fly the 145 and 1 or 2 winters ago they added the "tactile check" If we get type 1 and 4 then the tactile check has to be done after type 1 and before they start type 4....For the most part it seems like most de-ice guys know about this now......the first year it was fun explaining what needed to be done everyday. There are other scenarios that require a tactile check as well.

I have no idea how widespread the tactile check requirement is and I've always wondered how one would be accomplished on a heavy.

If I had to explain what a tactile check was I wouldn't have much confidence in the de-icing procedure as a whole.

If you knew what my deice training (or any other training) was when I was a rampie at PSA several years ago you'd never board a plane at all.

All CRJ100/200's now need the 'Tactile' check, after Deicing with Type1. Bombardier/FAA now require it after a crash in Europe (Excessive rotation) and one in the US (Challenger) due to frost on the wing. The problem was that neither of them deiced at all.

Most deicing crews and F.O.s dont even do the tactile check correctly when one is required on the CRJ100/200. The tactile check requires that it be done on the wing leading edge, the forward top part of the wing and the back upper part of the wing. 3 tactile checks required not 1.

All CRJ100/200's now need the 'Tactile' check, after Deicing with Type1. Bombardier/FAA now require it after a crash in Europe (Excessive rotation) and one in the US (Challenger) due to frost on the wing. The problem was that neither of them deiced at all.

Why in the hell does that not surprise me!

Latest resources

Back