air wiconsin or coex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OH Boy,

This thread is going to get ugly in say????? 6 posts.

Thats my guess. In 6 posts the original question will be lost and it will "my d%ck is bigger than yours.

Hide and watch.

BTW, both good airlines with different problems right now. Tough decision. Where would you like to be based. What are your upgrade desires......

Need more info.

Well, I can only tell you about Air Wisconsin.

Bases: ATW, ORD and IAD (probably junior)

Growth: This is a big question mark, at present, no more deliveries scheduled. Increased utilization of aircraft (at UAL's request) means more pilots needed. How, many? maybe 80 to 100 more.

Upgrade time: As a new hire, with no real growth in the current picture, it could be 8-10 years (that is what the company is telling folks at the interview).

Contract: We will be stuck with ours for another 7 years at least. With that said, it is better than at CoEx. Better than most regionals (perhaps not as good as COmair) in work rules and retirement. Pay scales in top third.

There is a lot of attrition right now, and I would expect much more as folks are forced out of DEN and ATL with the base closings.

Outlook: I think UAL is going to pull through, but you never know. Hopefully, our owners will seriously consider getting into the 70 seat market, as it is obvious now that this is where any growth is going to come.

I am not unhappy here, but was a lot happier before we agreed to take pay cuts, and having my base closed.

Rightrudder is pretty much right on. I don't believe the upgrade time will be that long. We do have a lot of attrition right now including a steady stream of retirees. If things turn around in a few years in the industry movement will increase. I would guess about 5years to upgrade. ExpressJet is no small airline either so they would have to hire quite a bit to upgrade there as well.

AWAC is a great place to work. All the pilots are top notch. I haven't met one I couldn't get along with for a four-day trip. I believe our contract is better. Hopefully ExpressJet will stand strong and get what they deserve in their new contract. Our training department is pretty good in my opinion.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

I made this choice 3 years ago and chose Air Wisconsin. I don't regret it.

COEX

We are planing on hiring about 500 more pilots. With only 40 more airplanes coming. After that the growth stops. The last delievery is scheduled for the first quarter of 2005.

Management always talks about growth beyond that, but it always in the context of selling ice cream or any thing else that will make money.

There will be some movement from the top of our list. There are about 250 flow backs still here. They are expected to be back at CAL be 2006. The there are 112 pilots that have the right to go over to CAL. Then there are about 400 pilots that have been given letters of hire at CAL. We currntly have 2500 pilots on our list.

CAL is one of the majors that has a better then 50/50 shot of being around over the next 10 years. So you might have better job security going to COEX.

I hope this helps.

If given a job offer by both, I'd choose the one who has the most jets on order and has the highest attrition. FO pay at commuters sucks, as we all know... and 8-10 years of making between $20,000 and $40,000 doesn't sound too enticing. Both are great companies and I would be proud to work at either one, but from what we all know now, I think the upgrade time at ExpressJet may be a few years faster than at Air Willy.

Latest resources

Back