Air Tran open time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Benjamin Dover

Heard a rumor that at Air Tran captains can pick up FO open time, sit in right seat and make captain rates? Any truth to this?? Just curious..

Have they been doing much of that lately, or has everyone been staying with their normal positions?

I haven't seen a CA flying in the right seat for quite some time. Except for checkairmen giving IOE of course.

With all the furloughs coming back and getting to build their green line when they are done with training, it seems like we have been shorter in the CA seat over the last 6 weeks on the 717. I am a reserve 717 CA and was only asked to fly right seat once over the last 24 months (the day after Christmas). I guess once you tell them no, they cross you off the list.

"I guess once you tell them no, they cross you off the list..."

Excellent, sir. The profession needs more people like yourself.

What is a green line?

Green line is basically when you finish IOE after bid close on the 17th. Crew plan then turns on FLICA to let you pick up open time and build your line. I would assume that is why we have so little open time on the 717 (both seats). We have had guys coming out of training in both seats that are building up their green lines leaving little open time in the system.

It looks like the company learned their lesson with FO understaffing. They realize now that most FOs are not picking up open time and 99% of the CA will not fly in the right seat. I don't think the company reupgraded the same ratio of guys as they recalled (thus giving them more FOs). We will see when we get into the meat of our summer schedule in July and August. The company just moved some July recurrent training events into June to have all hands on deck for the increased aircraft utilization planned for July.

Thanks Max. Sounds like if you are tight on CA's they don't have any reason to fly right seat to begin with. Moving the recurrents into the pre-month is interresting. Looks like lots of training in June, if they still haven't finished up requalling the furloughees.

It looks like the company learned their lesson with FO understaffing. They realize now that most FOs are not picking up open time...

And I'd like to see this continue even though the furloughed guys are back. Screw'em, until we get a contract.
Just my 2 cents.

Latest resources

Back