Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Anyone know how to go about getting into Air Racing? I'd love to do it, but i dont know how to get started. I'm a CFI/II/MEI with about 1000hrs, so i have some experience. Any idea who i can talk to or web sites/books/anything i can read?

Reno

As you're probably aware, the National Championship Air Races in Reno, NV is the biggest event in the country. Try looking up www.airrace.org for more information. If you ever have a chance to go to the races, I recommend it. I went a couple of years ago and it was awesome. It's tough to beat a P-51 tearing over the ground at 100ft doing nearly 500 mph! Or a Lancair Legacy turning in lap speeds of 350 mph and leaving a Thunder Mustang in the dust!

Yeah, i've been to the air races and they were amazing, though i've had some trouble finding info about how to get into racing. It was absolutly stunning to see those hot-rod aircraft rocking around those pylons, god i loved it.

I might be interested in the Cassut plans. How much?

I think that it has very little to do with time/experience factor but everything to do with money. You are probably going to need a lot of it since I am pretty sure these teams are pretty well staffed aka owner=/pilots.

good luck

3 5 0

formula one air racing is still expensive.

yeah it uses the o-200 continental....but they spin them at 4000+ rpm's...direct drive to the 4-foot diameter prop. You need a valve job every 15 to 30 minutes at race revs, and itll eat up parts that arent designed to do this RPM..... youll need alot of cylinders, springs, valves, pistons, cams, gears to do it with. and a crew to help.

theres the F1, biplane, T6, sport, unlims.....the F1 seems the bargian....but its still costly...

There is the handicapped cross-country racing...point to point stuff. thats pretty popular. places like Sun n fun run stuff like that...the sun 60 i think they call it.

Latest resources

Back