• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Midwest sold

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So this would be the second time GL took over Mesa's B1900 fleet. Remember 1998? That's why GL still flies all of those 1900s with YV tails. How funny. Will you guys burn up the engines on the way over this time too? :laugh:

I believe in order to buy airplanes, or an airline, you have to have money. Whats it been...over 6 years since their pilot contract become amendable? They must not have any money.

I was at Lakes from 2000 to 2004 and the contract was supposedly in negotiations the whole time I was there. From what acquaintances there told me, they got a new contract in 2005. I don't know when that contract becomes amenable.

It's Gulfstream!

I don't know if Gulfstream will acquire Air Midwest, but they have made application to take over some of their EAS on the East coast. Gulfstream already leases 4 1900's from Mesa, and I'm sure there's plans to operate more Mesa aircraft. Here's an article that backs up some of this:

Gulfstream International Airlines still has not made arrangements to replace Air Midwest as the commercial passenger service between Athens and Charlotte, N.C., even though the transition was scheduled to take place three months ago.
The U.S. Department of Transportation approved the change last year after Air Midwest announced it wanted to discontinue the airline service.
Gulfstream's President Dave Hackett has not offered a public explanation for the delay, and has not replied to repeated telephone calls or e-mail inquiries sent by the Athens Banner-Herald.
Even Athens-Ben Epps Airport Director Tim Beggerly has had difficulty reaching Hackett.
"I've called (Gulfstream) several times, and Hackett has returned my calls once," Beggerly said Friday.
The delay apparently comes because Gulfstream has been unable to reach a code-sharing agreement with US Airways, which has its hub in Charlotte. A code-sharing agreement allows two or more airlines to use the same flight numbers with their own airline code and would ensure that Gulfstream passengers could make connecting US Airways flights in Charlotte.
Last July, the DOT approved Gulfstream's bid to operate the Athens-to-Charlotte route, contingent on Gulfstream obtaining a code-sharing agreement.
The DOT and Gulfstream officials expected Gulfstream to take over the route in October, but DOT spokesman Bill Mosely said Friday that Gulfstream has not yet obtained a code-sharing agreement.
The long delay has forced the DOT's Essential Air Service division, which subsidizes unprofitable air service to small and mid-sized airports, to issue its fifth order requiring Air Midwest to continue operating air service in Athens until Jan. 30 or until Gulfstream begins the service.
Beggerly said the DOT division must believe Gulfstream will obtain the code-sharing agreement or the agency would not continue granting extensions. Mosely said the DOT will issue extensions indefinitely until Gulfstream takes over the Athens route.
Florida-based Gulfstream was the only airline to bid last year for the federally subsidized Athens-to-Charlotte passenger route. Air Midwest announced in May it would discontinue the Athens air service, but the Essential Air Service division would not allow the company to withdraw from the service until a replacement airline could be found.
Gulfstream's proposal for the Athens-to-Charlotte service offers one less weekly round-trip flight than the 13 Air Midwest currently provides.

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on 011308

I was at Lakes from 2000 to 2004 and the contract was supposedly in negotiations the whole time I was there. From what acquaintances there told me, they got a new contract in 2005. I don't know when that contract becomes amenable.

Effective September 16, 2006 actually. Amendable 2009.

AirMidwest has been sold since back in 2000.

Effective September 16, 2006 actually. Amendable 2009.

Thanks for the correction. I was airlining through DEN when I met a Laker from our old days there and I couldn't remember if it was '05 or '06.

Feels like a long time ago since I was there.

So this would be the second time GL took over Mesa's B1900 fleet. Remember 1998? That's why GL still flies all of those 1900s with YV tails. How funny. Will you guys burn up the engines on the way over this time too? :laugh:

I know that some of ZK's planes came from Mesa, but I have never seen one with a YV or ZV N-number.

Good luck ZV guys...

I know that some of ZK's planes came from Mesa, but I have never seen one with a YV or ZV N-number.

Good luck ZV guys...

There were a few planes with YV N-numbers at GLA in the early 2000's. Part of the way you could tell an ex-Mesa plane was the color of the passenger seats and sometimes the style of briefing card in the seatback.

There were a few planes with YV N-numbers at GLA in the early 2000's. Part of the way you could tell an ex-Mesa plane was the color of the passenger seats and sometimes the style of briefing card in the seatback.

Beat me to it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back