Air Midwest Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jellynuts

Does anyone have any information about Air Midwest? What are the junior bases? What is the contract like (if they have one)? Good/bad company to work for? I think that it is part of Mesa so that can't be good......

A friend of mine got hired there and jumped on it. I'm just trying to find out some info for the sorry sucker!

we park next to them in OMA, they look like clown mobiles... tell him run, run as fast as he can.. or have a fun time in south dakota

I flew the 1900 for a few months till I was comfortable, upgraded to CA, got my PIC time with a 121 outfit and then moved on. I would do it again.

Junior bases at AMW are always PIT and MCI (reserve only)
Most of the time newhires can get a hardline right out of IOE, but the bases that have hardlines are outstation bases and are all over the country. The junior outstation bases change regularly, but currently, the bases are as follows:
Cedar City, UT
Moab, UT
Farmington, NM (some reserve)
Roswell, NM
Hobbs, NM
Garden City, KS
Salina, KS
Kansas City, MO (reserve only)
Huron, SD (will be closed soon)
Joplin, MO
Columbia, MO (will open soon)
Harrison, AR
Jonesboro, AR
Athens, GA
Pittsburgh, PA (reserve only)
Du Bois, PA (some reserve)
Hagerstown, MD (will close soon)
Massena, NY
Lancaster, PA
Merced, CA or Visalia, CA(will probably open in the next few months)

The current upgrade time is quite low and someone hired today can probably expect to upgrade next spring. You can PM with your email address if you want a full copy of our contract. First year FOs make about $19/hour and first year captains make about $30/hour. Most Beech hardline schedules are 4 days on, 3 days off and are mostly commutable on one side, never commutable both ways. Reserve life sucks here and you work 6 on, 3 off most of the time (Occasionally only 2 days off).

The Beech is a great plane to fly, but very few have good paint jobs. Our planes are around 10-12 years old and most have 30-35 thousand cycles on them. There are many small things that break, but not too many major things go wrong. The PT-6 engines are pretty bulletproof and provide plenty of power. I have a little over 2200 hours in the plane and haven't had an emergency so far, but it's common for a plane to have 2 or 3 deferred items. For example, the plane I flew yesterday had an inop landing light and no prop synch.

The worst parts of flying the Beech are the lack of an APU, no autopilot, and short flights that have a high workload for not much pay. Our longest flights are about 1:35 and average is about 45 minutes. We regularly fly 8-9 leg days.

Hope this helps.

sorry to see the HON is closing. the thunderbird will be missed.........

JBR pm shift was absolutely EASY. JBR-ELD-DFW sit for one hour then DFW-ELD-JBR and back home by 9pm. i bet its schedules are f'd up now. ground crew in ELD are some of the nicest people i ever met. they cooked us chili in winter and ice cream in the summer. we'd always feed them the gas biz and top off everything (in and out) there. i still imagine 270 to paris vor direct bonham, bonham at 8000 on the bonham 5 arrival in my sleep.

hank, amw chief pilot, is an old, cantenkerous bastahd. (s)crew scheduling has no compassion and will sell you down a river. you swell with pride upon entering the "modern" hangar in ICT and see what type of operation they have.

Last edited:
CitationLover said:
i still imagine 270 to paris vor direct bonham, bonham at 8000 on the bonham 5 arrival in my sleep.

Must have new people in ZFW now. :)

270 to paris, depart paris on 253 radial to join bonham 5 south of bonham, cross abeam bonham at 8000.

Latest resources

Back