Air Midwest 5481 & NTSB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leftseat10

Anyone else troubled with how forthcoming the NTSB lead investigator Goglia has been with his theories on this crash? I was appalled when they interviewed him the day of the crash and he spouted all sorts of ideas, to include the "poor safety record of commuters." Notice how he ended every sentence with "don't quote me on this..."

I'd have to ask him about the "poor safety record of commuters." Poor Safety as compared to what?
As part of the NTSB, perhaps he could see that the reasons for any supposed "poor safety record" might be caused by the NTSB and FAA's lack of action to properly ensure safety.
Short overnights, long days, lack or proper nutrition at work, dismal pay, dismal benefits, etc. .. could all lower the safety of any commuter.
Considering commuter crews work in these lowered conditions I think he should be commending us for going 6 years without a fatal crash until last week.

Last edited:
First of all, John Goglia is not the "lead investigator". The IIC (Investigator in Charge) rarely briefs the media. Mr. Goglia is a board member, a politically appointed position. The board members are not investigators at all. However, they are the ones that are assigned, on a rotating basis, to the major accidents to be the point of contact for the public.

Unfortunately, Mr. Goglia has, from the very beginning, been freely offering his "opinions". The NTSB has become the credible agency that it has by dealing in facts. You won't find any investigator, at any level, giving his or her opinion to the media, or anyone else, for that matter.

Hopefully, somone will reel Mr. Goglia in, before he chips away at the credibility of this ongoing investigation, by spouting his "opinions" to the media.

And to jetexas, the NTSB is not empowered to make changes, only recommendations. The FAA is the regulatory agency. The NTSB has made numerous recommendations over the last ten or so years dealing with some of the fatigue factors you cite. Pilot fatigue remains atop the NTSB's "Most Wanted" list. It's the FAA, under constant lobby pressure from the ATA, that is dragging it's feet on initiating long overdue changes.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back