Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
Well, it looks like more good material for Jay Leno next week. I'm not even going to ask what the dude was think'n.....

Talk of Shoe Bomb Brings Pilot's Arrest

August 9, 2003 04:14 PM EDT

NEW YORK - An Air France co-pilot was in police custody Saturday after allegedly telling an airport security screener that he had a bomb in his shoe.

Philippe Rivere, 50, was arrested Friday night at John F. Kennedy International Airport, Port Authority spokesman Tony Ciavolella said. Rivere was charged with falsely reporting an incident and could face up to seven years in prison.

Rivere, who was to co-pilot a flight from JFK to Paris, was going through a security checkpoint when he allegedly said he had a bomb in his shoe, Ciavolella said. Ciavolella would not say whether Rivere was joking.

Police determined there were no explosives in Rivere's shoes, Ciavolella said.

The Air France plane was also searched, and the flight was canceled. It left the airport Saturday morning. Rivere was in custody and awaiting arraignment.

An Air France spokesman in New York, Jim Faulkner, said the flight, with more than 300 passengers, was canceled because the airline did not have another co-pilot available.

I would love to make a french joke...but he makes it waaayyy to easy.

Maybe there ought to be clearly marked signs at the airports indicating that certain words are not to be spoken... ie: bomb, hijack, terrorist, sneaker... etc... :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHA

I'm picturing Peter Sellers in an airline uniform; " I said, I have a boomb in my shoe.."

What a nimrod. Of course the whole thing is our fault. Everyone knows we Americans have no sense of humor.

JL and DH

And I hope they keep both of them. . . .

Latest resources

Back