Air Force OTS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

I am looking for a little info. for anybody here in the know.

I understand that the Air Force is currently not accepting prior service, at least enlisted wise. This could change in the next couple of years, but assuming it doesn't, I have a question.

I just enlisted in the Air National Guard. I am currently a college student. Can one apply for Air Force OTS, after graduating college, if currently in the Guard? This will be at least 2-2.5 years away. I do understand people have switched from Guard to Active Duty, and it requires a release from your Guard unit, but does this apply to OTS as well?

Thanks for any info. I can be provided! :)

59 views and no replies ... lol ... I will assume nobody knows.

I was able to find out the answer, incase others may be wondering or considering the same thing; you can apply for OTS and go active duty from the Air National Guard.

PilotOnTheRise said:
I understand that the Air Force is currently not accepting prior service, at least enlisted wise.

I find this extremely hard to believe... not accepting prior enlisted for commision? Thats a huge motivation for a lot of E's to excel. The AF does some wierd stuff, but I have a hard time believing this is true.

I don't mean they are not accepting prior service as far as current enlisted being able to commision. I am referring to prior service being allowed to enlist in the Air Force. Right now, for example, I am Air National Guard, therefore I cannot, as I am considered prior service, go enlist into the Air Force. Due to overmanning issues, they are currently not allowing this, although it should change soon.

Current enlisted in the Air Force can get a commision, as well as current Air National Guard, etc.

Go Guard- Best thing out there and the "finishing school" is only 6 weeks long! Better than the 90 days at OTS!!

KCPilot wrote: "Go Guard- Best thing out there and the "finishing school" is only 6 weeks long! Better than the 90 days at OTS!!"

Puh-leese! Everybody knows ANG OTS is actually 6-hours of watching M*A*S*H re-runs! For the un-inititiated, Active Duty USAF OTS is 3 days long:

Day 1: Orientation - tour O'Club, swimming pool, and golf course. Watch "Top Gun" (with Air Force subtitles), and "A Gathering Of Eagles" starring that poster boy of USAF ideals: Rock Hudson.

Day 2: Uniform fitting (Note: Uniforms subject to change wildly every 6 days, so check the bulletin board at the BOQ!). All candidates measured for silly ascots. Those demonstrating advanced arrogance fitted for FWS patch.

Day 3: "Basic Military Training" consisting of a 30-minute module on how and when to render the hand salute (Test Answer gouge: "Lamely" and "rarely")...followed by a 5-minute module on "History of the Air Force" and a 10-second module on "Glorious Battle History of the USAF".

(I keed)

Latest resources

Back