• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force Academy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a 99 grad. Tough 4 years but well worth it. As time passes on, I'm more and more proud I graduated from USAFA and am part of the long blue line.

Andy: I am doing well, thanks.

I actually called Kings Point after searching their website for info to talk to the admissions office about how to apply, having a child about to start applying to college and wondering if it might be a possibility for her.

I learned a bunch, and I was incorrect about the funding, but there are some significant differences between Kings Point and the other Academies.

Admission to Kings Point does require an appointment and the cadets are eventually inducted into the inactive Navy Reserve during their plebe year. They receive no stipend or pay. After their junior year they are obligated to serve in either the Navy (or other service) Reserves, or in the merchant marine community (which most of them do, because that is where they make the most money, according to the LT I spoke with). After graduation they are required to maintain their USCG Captain's License for a certain amount of time regardless of which career path they chose after graduation.

A big difference between Kings Point and the other Service Academies, as far as I could tell from my conversation with the LT, was that their cadets don't receive any pay from any branch of the military and they aren't subject to the UCMJ while they are in school. Couldn't determine what type of ID card they would be issued when they were inducted into the inactive Navy Reserve. I found that odd that he wouldn't know the answers to those questions.

Cadets and Midshipmen at the other 4 service academies, do receive a stipend (they say its not pay, but really it is, since they have to pay income taxes on it, or at least file a return) and they ARE members of their respective services from day 1 and thus subject to the UCMJ.

Another huge difference between USCGA and the other Academies is the fact that the USCGA does NOT require any kind of congressional or presidential appointment for admission. It is simply a direct application and competitive admission process, which may or may not appeal to some people.

Anyway, I stand corrected and better informed now, thanks for a good discussion.

FJ

FJ, thanks for the additional details on both the MMA and USCGA. All the best to your daughter - I wish that one of my kids had been interested in going to a service academy, but they had no interest.
No matter which academy one goes to, it's a tough way to get a 'free' education, but as Scrapdog said, the longer since you've graduated, the more proud one is of not only being chosen to attend, but also to have graduated.

Latest resources

Back