Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptJax

BY Monica Mark - WSJ 2/27/09

London - The slump in international passenger and freight travel deepened in January for the third consecutive month - outweighing the benefits of lower fuel prices and airline-capacity cuts. And the downturn will continue, the International Air Transport Association said.

Passenger traffic declined 5.6% from a year earlier, compared with a 4.6% drop in December. Cargo markets continued an "alarming"slump, down 23%, the association said.

"Alarm bells are ringing everywhere. The industry is in a global crisis and we have not yet seen the bottom," IATA Chief Executive Giovanni Bisignani said Thursday.

The IATA, which represents about 230 airlines constituting 93% of global scheduled air traffic, kept its forecast for global airline losses this year. It expects revenues to fall to $500 billion, down $35 billion, leading to a $2.5 billion loss for the industry.

Mr. Bisignani again called on governments to reduce regulatory-tax burdens on airlines - singling out the U.K. for a planned increase in air-passenger duty and the Netherlands for its planned departure tax - and to remove laws that hinder cross-border and cross-region takeovers.

Asian carriers, which represent around two fifths of the global cargo market, led January's fall, reporting a 28% drop.

IATA said the overall cargo market will contract further as manufacturers continued to shed inventory and cut production.

Asia also led the decline in passenger demand with an 8.4% year-on-year drop in January.

North American and European passenger-traffic demand declined 6.2% and 5.7%, respectively. Latin America saw a 1.4% fall, while demand in Africa fell 2.6% in January.

The Middle East was the only region where traffic rose, climbing 3.1%. This was well below double-digit traffic growth and a 10.8% expansion in capacity last year.

What does everyone think this will do to FedEx and UPS? Just curious.

I went over the the cargo board but didn't seem any musings about it.

Possible 300 furloughs......90 day Letters might go out on June 1st for Sept 1st furlough. Looks like no more opentime flying....................

all effected

What does everyone think this will do to FedEx and UPS? Just curious.

I went over the the cargo board but didn't seem any musings about it.

It'll do the same to them as it'll do to the pax side of the industry and the rest won't be far off either.
Continued reduction in planes, people and routes flown. Certainly a sad state of affairs we are in regardless of who you fly for. Good luck!!!!

Possible 300 furloughs......90 day Letters might go out on June 1st for Sept 1st furlough. Looks like no more opentime flying....................

When do you go to the FE spot on the DC8?

Bye Bye--General Lee

When do you go to the FE spot on the DC8?

Bye Bye--General Lee

After I get done spunking on your moms forehead, I will continue to sit in the right seat of the 75/76, fly less than you and still make more money than you. At least I won't be picking up any open time and I'll support the furloughed guys unlike your two faced a$$. Don't worry.... this whole thing is gonna come to a head with all your great international expansion as well, so don't get too cocky there genital. With more than 20% of the pilot group below me, I'm pretty sure I'll be safe. I feel for all the guys at the bottom of any list these days. It's going to get worse before it gets better...... Now go have a piece of chocolate in your kitties litter box genital......

Net

After I get done spunking on your moms forehead, I will continue to sit in the right seat of the 75/76, fly less than you and still make more money than you. At least I won't be picking up any open time and I'll support the furloughed guys unlike your two faced a$$. Don't worry.... this whole thing is gonna come to a head with all your great international expansion as well, so don't get too cocky there genital. With more than 20% of the pilot group below me, I'm pretty sure I'll be safe. I feel for all the guys at the bottom of any list these days. It's going to get worse before it gets better...... Now go have a piece of chocolate in your kitties litter box genital......

Net

Wow, I struck a nerve. FANTASTIC. You are the cockiest cargo guy around. I am glad you feel safe with 20% below you, even with cargo sales down 25% globally. (I have about 50% below me now) Your day trips in MIA will probably turn to night trips in SDF, and that may suk, but hey, you will supposedly make more than I will (how do you know?), but at least you will have more bags under your eyes from constant allnighters to Cedar Rapids on the 757 from Rockford. Enjoy that. Hey, what will happen to those 150 managment guys without seniority numbers hired into Line check and chief pilot positions anyway? Tootles.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Wow, I struck a nerve. FANTASTIC. You are the cockiest cargo guy around. I am glad you feel safe with 20% below you, even with cargo sales down 25% globally. (I have about 50% below me now) Your day trips in MIA will probably turn to night trips in SDF, and that may suk, but hey, you will supposedly make more than I will (how do you know?), but at least you will have more bags under your eyes from constant allnighters to Cedar Rapids on the 757 from Rockford. Enjoy that. Hey, what will happen to those 150 managment guys without seniority numbers hired into Line check and chief pilot positions anyway? Tootles.

Bye Bye--General Lee

yaaawwwnnn.....

Latest resources

Back