Air Canada slides deeper into bed with U

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

Looks like they want some 70 and 90 seat flying too. I have a feeling that they are just going to cantract out 90% of mainline. Replace all 737 with 170/190's (if they go to mainline then they will just sell it off like MDA after they get it up and running) at mainline and CHQ or another contractor. This leaves the AirBus paired down to a min fleet for big city to big city domestic and large airbus for euro and Hi flying. There will never be recalls to mainline if this stuff keeps happening. O well, career in the 170 at Rep as J4J for the next 30 years here I come.

http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2005/10/10/daily6.html

Air Canada seeks to operate some US Airways flights

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Air Canada's regional Jazz airline plans to increase its transborder business in the United States through an agreement with US Airways Group Inc., according to Toronto newspaper The Globe and Mail.Jazz's parent company, ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., has signed an agreement with US Airways, which recently merged with America West Group Holdings Corp. in a $1.5 billion deal, to operate some flights on behalf of the U.S. airline over the next five years.
The newspaper cites documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The regulatory filings say Jazz will have first dibs on new cross-border routes "in the event that the merged entity plans to increase the number of 70- or 90-seat regional jet U.S.-Canada transborder flights."
Jazz will have to be "competitive on price, terms and conditions" whenever it operates flights on behalf of US Airways, according to the tentative pact signed by ACE, US Airways and America West, the publication says.
The filings also say code-sharing agreements are slated to be expanded. That would allow ACE and US Airways to sell more tickets on each other's flights.
The Globe and Mail says Jazz spokeswoman Debra Williams declines comment on the documents. However, she told the newspaper Jazz has been expanding its U.S. destinations.
"We have significant operations into the U.S., as reflected on our route map," Williams said.
In May, Montreal-based ACE announced its Air Canada Technical Services division was awarded a $1.5 billion, five-year maintenance contract to service the US Airways-America West fleet.
At the time, ACE, one of the investors in the merged airline, said it was "entitled to provide all available outsourced maintenance, repair and overhaul services" for the carrier in return for its $75 million investment.

[/FONT]

Are you guys really starting to take the Rep j4j jobs? Or was that just a flippant remark?

And what is that on the code-a-phone about holding harmless the APL pilots who could've gone to Rep?

Sorry for the hijack

Swaayze said:
Are you guys really starting to take the Rep j4j jobs? Or was that just a flippant remark?

Where else are they going to go? I tried to get a friend to take a corporate job but he said no. He'd have to give up his USAir seniority number if he quit MDA at that time. Now, there aren't a lot of opportunities for 45 year old former short-time captain/long-time FO's with a distant recall to AWA/U...

Not a good position to be in right now.TC

LearLove said:
Looks like they want some 70 and 90 seat flying too. I have a feeling that they are just going to cantract out 90% of mainline. Replace all 737 with 170/190's (if they go to mainline then they will just sell it off like MDA after they get it up and running) at mainline and CHQ or another contractor.

Our transistion agreement prevents this from happening. There has to be a certain amount of mainline aircraft (not including the 190's) in the fleet AND there's also a utilization rate associated with those planes.

Our committee's are on top of it....at least that's what they tell us. :rolleyes:

JetMonkey said:
Our transistion agreement prevents this from happening. There has to be a certain amount of mainline aircraft (not including the 190's) in the fleet AND there's also a utilization rate associated with those planes.

Our committee's are on top of it....at least that's what they tell us. :rolleyes:

Apparently you may not understand how US Air works. Even if its supposed to be a majority of AWA management. Just think of it as chaining yourself to a giant battleship anchor and pushing it overboard. :eek: I hope you have strong legs and big flippers.:D

Swaayze said:
And what is that on the code-a-phone about holding harmless the APL pilots who could've gone to Rep?

I havent listened to the code-a-propaganda but I assume that it is in ref to the first batch of furloughed MDA guys. They offered them a J4J position at Rep for the 9/27 class they all said they wanted to wait until the results of the arbitration and then the company called them back and said if they don't take it now they won't be called again. From what you are telling me above it sounds like they/we may get some time to decide now, meaning we can wait to see what happens to the arbitration. Its just my guess though.

JetMonkey said:

JMonkey -

You better hope that you're management keeps the former U management in line on this one. In the past, statements like "the agreement prevents this from happening" were the punch line to jokes at Crystal City cocktail parties.

Latest resources

Back