• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sqwkvfr

Baseball junkie
Reuters

Air Canada Orders $6 Bln of Boeing Jets
Mon Apr 25, 2005 02:53 PM ET

By Bill Rigby and Christian Plumb

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Air Canada on Monday announced firm orders for 32 Boeing Co. (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) wide-bodied jets in a deal worth $6 billion, adding to the top U.S. aircraft maker's recent winning streak against archrival Airbus.

The order by Air Canada's parent, ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. (ACErv.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) , includes 18 Boeing 777 jets and 14 of Boeing's newest 787 Dreamliner jets.

After last year missing its own target for 787 orders, Boeing has racked up a series of wins for the new plane this year as Airbus' (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) proposed competing model, the A350, has struggled to gain traction in the marketplace.

Canada's largest airline, which emerged from court protection from creditors at the end of September, had said it was considering Airbus aircraft as it modernized its fleet, including the A340-500, which it already flies.

In a conference call with analysts, Robert Milton, chief executive of ACE, said Air Canada's current plan does not include the purchase of Airbus jets, but the airline would have a "continued relationship" with the European plane maker.

Milton added that Air Canada found the A350 to be larger than what the airline needed for its markets.

"We would expect Boeing shares to move higher in this environment of rising orders," said Jeffries & Co. analysts in a research note. "Air Canada has been adding Airbus wide-body planes to its fleet. This is a significant change."

Boeing shares were up $1.73, or 3 percent, at $59.62 at mid-afternoon on the New York Stock Exchange, outperforming the U.S. aerospace sector. ACE restricted voting shares were off 62 Canadian cents or 1.7 percent at C$35.18 in Toronto.

As part of a plan to overhaul Air Canada's fleet, ACE said it also had options to buy a further 18 777 jets and a further 46 787s. If it buys the extra aircraft, the whole deal could be worth as much as $14 billion.

ACE declined to specify the value of the order, worth at least $5 billion based on the jets' list prices. Boeing put a price of about $6 billion on the deal. The order brings the total of firm orders and commitments for the 787 Dreamliner to 217. The 200- to 300-seat jet, which will use 20 percent less fuel than today's aircraft of similar size, is set to have its first flight in 2007.

CUTTHROAT COMPETITION

Boeing has vowed to reverse the dominance of Airbus, which has outsold the Chicago-based plane maker in every year since 2001 and is due to grab headlines on Wednesday with the maiden flight of its A380 super-jumbo.

Boeing in December named Scott Carson to replace its head of commercial aircraft sales after a lackluster 2004. He recently vowed Boeing would beat Airbus in orders this year. Airbus and some analysts are skeptical.

"We expect Boeing to continue to lose share to Airbus over the next several years," said Prudential analyst Jared Muroff, adding that the cutthroat competition between the two would also squeeze margins.

ACE said the deal with Boeing, to be finalized by mid-year, would help it cut costs in the long run as fuel prices soar.

Milton told analysts the new jets would add to earnings right from first delivery next year and he expects fuel savings of about C$300 million ($242 million) by 2010.

ACE plans to spread acquisition costs for the Boeing jets over several years, and it expects to sell more than 60 wide-bodied aircraft in the next decade to help fund the big order.

Separately on Monday, Boeing said Panamanian airline Copa had ordered up to 15 additional Boeing next-generation 737 jets, including five firm orders. Copa is 49 percent-owned by Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) .

Shifting to the largest end of Boeing's product line, General Electric Co. (GE.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said Boeing had selected GE's next- generation jet engine to power its 747 Advanced airplane.

Boeing is trying to sell the 450-seat jet to keep a toe- hold in the market for the largest passenger jets, where the Airbus A380 threatens to eclipse Boeing's current 747. ($1=1.24 Canadian) (Additional reporting by Jason Neely in London, Jui Chakravorty in New York and Susan Thomas in Toronto)

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited:
Air India just added another 6.9 Billion in 777s and 787s, and Copa 15 737s. $13.7 Billion this week and it's only tuesday...

Last edited:
sqwkvfr said:
Reuters

The order by Air Canada's parent, ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. (ACErv.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) , includes 18 Boeing 777 jets and 14 of Boeing's newest 787 Dreamliner jets.

After last year missing its own target for 787 orders, Boeing has racked up a series of wins for the new plane this year as Airbus' (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) proposed competing model, the A350, has struggled to gain traction in the marketplace.

Did I miss somehting? I thought that Boeing scrubed the 8 and it was just 7E7. Also I'm pretty sure it is the A380 they are talking about. Dang Reuters, you're slipping.

jack

jackotron said:
Did I miss somehting? I thought that Boeing scrubed the 8 and it was just 7E7. Also I'm pretty sure it is the A380 they are talking about. Dang Reuters, you're slipping.

jack

Wrong on 2 accounts, my friend ;)

They dropped the "E" and put in an 8. "E" was nice, but "8" was considered "lucky" by the chinese and they ordered a bunch after the rename. Although i suspect they would of renamed it eitherway, since all 7X7's had different names during the design stage - although i can't remember any of them at the moment, a quick search on google should help you.

As for the A350.... thats Airbus' answer to the 787. THe 350 is in the design stage...

mattpilot said:
Wrong on 2 accounts, my friend ;)

They dropped the "E" and put in an 8. "E" was nice, but "8" was considered "lucky" by the chinese and they ordered a bunch after the rename. Although i suspect they would of renamed it eitherway, since all 7X7's had different names during the design stage - although i can't remember any of them at the moment, a quick search on google should help you.

As for the A350.... thats Airbus' answer to the 787. THe 350 is in the design stage...

Crap...where have I been? I guess I have to get my head out of my instrument textbook or my butt. Thanks for clearing that up Matt.

-Jack

Hey maybe these new planes will not have the Air Canada light chop already installed!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back