Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rchcfi

How slow can you go
For those of you out there (avbug, DC4boy, etc.) fighting fires as I am, this comes as a big blow. Luckily the pilot, ATGS, and trainee all survived. This one hit close to home for me, as I am down in the same area and flying an Air Attack platform. Let's keep them in our thoughts and hope for a speedy recovery.

Here is the story and video:
www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3625919&nav=168XcQql

It is amazing how fast news helicopters are these days. In the video, you can see the ARFF still trying to extricate them.

RCHCFI

Do they know what caused the airplane to crash yet? On the video, it looked like #1 was still running with those crash rescue guys crawling all over the cockpit... that's speedy service!

Looking at whats left of the nose, it's amazing they survived.

Our prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

2000Flyer

Anyone know the current condition of the pilot? N7UP was based at Commander Northwest in EAT. I used to fuel that plane when I worked line service here and a couple of my friends are former CNW pilots. No one I talked to yesterday had heard who the pilot was, but EAT is a small town, so I wonder if I know him. If the info is still private, fine. If it has been reported and someone has seen it, I'd appreciate a PM.

Looking at the pictures, it's remarkable that folks got out of the front end as well as they did. Very fortunate for them. A stark reminder of the realities of the job (flying). I worked with a gentleman a few years ago for a few weeks, in Billings. He left there on an assignment and was killed a couple of weeks later. He enjoyed the fire service, but felt that he was exposed to less "risk" by flying air attack. That may be so, but he was killed by an engine failure after takeoff during a going fire.

Most accidents in the fire service are fatal. It's always gratifying to see one that isn't.

The pilot is a friend of mine. I didn't hear about this until pretty recently.
As to his condition, I won't say much other than it looks like he will be ok in the very long run.

NookyBooky said:
Tell him a dude from the internet (me) wishes him the best.

ditto

NookyBooky if you told him your avtar wished him the very best I am sure that he would feel a LOT better, especially if you set up a visit.:D

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back