Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

STEVE CANYON

Hello:

A question for those of you who work air ambulance operations. What kind of support staff, outside of aircrew, medical, and mechanics are they required to have? Any response will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

MedArrow

I operated MedArrow,Inc, an air ambulance service in Utah. Our company had to be licensed by the state of Utah. We had to prove to the state we had qualified air medical crews as well as getting our medical protocols or SOP's approved by the state before we could apply for license. The state required that we have a Medical Director, Chief Flight Nurse, Program Director, and I can't remember what else. The state health dept. should be able to direct you toward the right folks to talk with. The state requirements were more restrictive than the FAA 135 requirements. Our company had to renew it's EMS license every year, which required an inspection by state EMS personnel. Hope this helps some.

Most programs also want some type of certification, usually by the hospital and medical crew, such as CAAMTS.

www.nemspa.org is a website with all sorts of info on certifications.

I currently fly air ambulance in SD, and all we have to do is normal 135 stuff plus the airplane has to have an ambulance registration every two years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back