Agricultural Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ACI

I worked ground for them for a couple of seasons. Went to school with the current owners son. Busy operation. Currently they operate 3 Thrushes, 1 Ag-Cat and two Beech 18's.
My friend racks up a hell of a lot of time in the 7 months they operate. We would work from dark to dark. The busiest day I can remember, I mixed 34 loads for one pilot.

Last edited:
I've heard of an outfit that will put a turboprop on Pawnee braves.

Re: ACI

T/SF34/A said:
I worked ground for them for a couple of seasons. Went to school with the current owners son. Busy operation. Currently they operate 3 Thrushes, 1 Ag-Cat and two Beech 18's.
My friend racks up a hell of a lot of time in the 7 months they operate. We would work from dark to dark. The busiest day I can remember, I mixed 34 loads for one pilot.

That's pretty neat that you know Jeff. I do you still live around here. Did you fly for them or did you just mix loads for 'em.

Actually I am out in Fort Wayne Indiana working for one of US Air's express carriers. Who knows with the way things are I may be back in Delaware looking for my old job of mixing loads next season. I never flew for them, there was always talk but never enough time to "break me in"...Thats probably why I'm out in FWA.

I Lost my best friend on Friday, September 12th. He was spraying in an Air Tractor 502, first load , first pass of the day.

He told me the night before that this job may be his last for this season. I feel like I lost one of my own children. I've never been so sick in my life.

The accedent report, and an eye witness stated that he pulled up nearly virtical out of the field, rolled right and dove straight into the ground. I'm told he went in so hard that they may never know just what actually happened.

Knowing this man as I did, I can't help but think something went terribly wrong. He was just to safety oriented, and I never knew him to be a showoff.

There's not much doubt that the airplane stalled, but I just can't figure why such an agressive pull up on the first pass being so heavy.

I've thought a hundred times this week, how a loving GOD could allow such a tragic thing to happen to such a special person. This Kid was a true Light to everyone he came in contact with. Not one of the hell fire and brimstone, Bible thumping, beat you over the head kind, but a true Light. Then it came to me, and this has become my comfort during this, The Word says; GOD Himself rejoices when one of His Saints come Home.

I'm not any kind of writer or anything like that. I'm just trying cope with the loss of a good friend that was taken from this life doing what we both love so much.

So please say a prayer and ask for comfort for his young wife, family and friends that grieve.

Sounds like a high speed emergency dump. Sorry to hear about it. Certainly not the first, definitely not the last, and we all know the risks. But it's never an easy thing, no matter how many times it occurs. There's not much to say about your friend, as I didn't know him, not much in the way of words of comfort; you know the score as well as any.

Sometimes rememberence in prayers for those who are left behind is the best there is; it's free, but too often not given.

My condolences to you, and to the family he left behind.

RightPedal,

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. I grew up on a farm in the south watching crop dusters every year as they sprayed our soybeans and also planted our rice.
I always wanted to fly as an ag-pilot. I still get excited watching one work a field.
I hope that you will eventually learn what caused your friends crash on September 12th. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friends family for such a tragic loss.
Blue, safe skies............

BlueBusDriver

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's unfortunate that accidents like this happen. I can recall times when someone would call the airport that I was working at to report a "downed yellow airplane"...It put one hell of a pit in my stomach while I stood out by the runway waiting to hear the sound of that R-1340 off in the distance with my best friend at the controlls.

There is no doubt in my mind that aerial application is a dangerous choice of work. It takes a special kind of pilot to stand up to the challenge. It's one thing to face an emergency situation at FL250...it's another thing to face it 5 feet off the deck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back