Agi / Bgi?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flymach2 said:
By the way, there is no requirement for a ground instructor in a 141 course to hold an AGI or IGI. Ref. §141.81 Regards

This may or may not be true. Many Training Course Outlines (TCOs) have it written into them that all instructors will be certified flight or ground instructors. If the TCO says that then a CFI or an GI certificate is a must. This is most often the case.

While I agree that a pilot school may write into their respective TCO's that a ground instructor must possess an AGI or IGI, the regulation is clear. The requirements for a TCO to be approved are listed in under Part 141 and those requirements are the "minimum qualifications and ratings for each instructor assigned to ground or flight training." I will, once again, refer to my previous post which gives the reference for those minimum qualifications. The point I was trying to make is that a blanket statement stipulating that one must hold an AGI or IGI to teach a 141 ground school is inaccurate.

Regards

I believe that you can use them as a "Federal" teaching certificate to work in some states at the college level (for aviation subjects only) without having to get the state teacher certificate.

Any currently working CFI should be able to walk in and pass the AGI or IGI cold with no prep. I walked in and took them on rainy, crappy, no-student-anyway days.

When I went to the FSDO with the test results to get my certificate, the inspector on duty started asking me questions like "What's the frequency of a middle marker?, etc., and another inspector came by and said "He doesn't have to answer your questions, just issue him his certificate."

Latest resources

Back