Agi / Bgi?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stearmann4

How does one get to be an advanced ground instructor, or a basic ground instructor certificate? I gathered that you have to take the CFI written, but what can you do with the certificate? I'm guessing teach ground school?

Mike-

Last edited:
There are ground instructor written tests, which basically mirror the CFI tests but are different. I'm not too sure but I believe the certificate is required to teach 141 ground school. To get the certificate take the ground instructor written results and the FOI results (assuming you don't already have a CFI) to the FSDO and you'll get the temp.

Don't bother with the basic, just get the advanced.

The Ground Instructor is a seperate certificate issued under 14 CFR 61. On that certificate, you can have the Instrument, and the Basic or Advanced ratings on it.

14 CFR 61, subpart I details eigibility requirements, as well as recency requirements.

Basically, you can give ground training required for knowledge tests or the issuance of a certificate, depending on which rating you hold.

The Basic and Advanced use the same test questions as the CFI knowledge test. The Instrument uses the same as the Instrument KNowledge test. So, if you are going to do it, you might as well take the Advanced(AGI) and the CFI-A(FIA) the same day. As Flyer172 said, don't bother with the BGI.

Once you have the results, fill out an 8710 and the FSDO will write you a temporary certificate, no questions asked. You will need the Fundamentals of Instructing written if you don't already have a Flight Instructor or Ground Instructor certificate, unless you are a teacher for a middle school or higher.

Last edited:
Also remember that the advanced isn't just for airplane. You may get asked any questions from the CFI test prep including rotorcraft, glider, etc. So make sure you study those questions as well. If you ever plan on getting your gold seal instructor you need the instrument or the advanced ground certificate.

Mach1 said:
Also remember that the advanced isn't just for airplane. You may get asked any questions from the CFI test prep including rotorcraft, glider, etc. So make sure you study those questions as well.

Still not a hard test. I got a few on balloons and gliders which I know nothing about...and tell students that want ground instruction on such things.

Worth the drive into OKC (at the time) to have 'em. Got the AGI and IGI...shoulda just got the AGI, but it ain't no thang.

-mini

Even thoigh they both come from the same bank of questions, do I have to take two exams (CFI written, and AGI) seperately, along with the FOI? I'm getting all the writtens out of the way for CFI, but won't do any of the practical application for a few months, but thought it would be beneficial to do the AGI as long as I was reviewing the materail anyway.

Thanks,

Mike-

Yes, both exams separately. If you do your AGI prior to your CFI, then you must show your AGI to your examiner during your CFI ride to verify that you've completed your FOI.

Under what circumstances would getting your AGI/IGI be an advantage? I'm curious b/c i currently have ~200TT, working on my comm. & multi and I've already done the CFI/CFII & FOI writtens (just to keep me thinking while landlocked by all the ice this winter). I'm planning on becoming a CFI anyway- is there any benefit to getting the ground instructor certs? Mini- why do you think you should've only done the AGI?

I recently, inadvertently, let my CFI expire. I decided I wanted to reinstate it, so that when I flew with my young sons, I could teach them if they were interested, hopefully not:). Since it has been a long time since I was active in anything but large jets, and I was brushing up on the GA stuff anyway, I took the AGI. It was painfully easy, and the FSDO added it to my Ground Instructor certificate with instrument rating in about 15 minutes.

Other than that, I can't really see any need to have the certificate. However, it is so easy to get, if you are already studying the material, you might as well do it.

Agi

I concur with the above post, skip the BGI. The AGI looks good on the resume and if one day the physical doesn't get passed. You can work as a simulator instructor.

Latest resources

Back