Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age of the oldest new hire at a regional feeder.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great replies! Thanks!But when I carefully attempt to inform him of "The truth about the Profession", it just doesn't matter. Because his ego (my opinion) is controlling his decisions professionally and recently personally.

No, I meant for him to literally go to the website, "The Truth About the Profession." If he Googles that phrase it's the first hit. It outlines all the stuff you're probably trying to tell him, but sometimes a person needs to hear it from another source!

No, I meant for him to literally go to the website, "The Truth About the Profession." If he Googles that phrase it's the first hit. It outlines all the stuff you're probably trying to tell him, but sometimes a person needs to hear it from another source!

I did understand you the first time but I did not go to the site. I have and thank you for pushing a bit harder. It is not mostly anything I did not know and have carefully tried to share with my acquaintance but the site articulates "The Truth" very well and much better than I.

In my experience when the ego takes over it is difficult to have someone understand the hard truth. I would like to share that web site but it would be too much of a risk of him taking it wrong. I do recommend anyone reading the information though who is thinking about a career in the airline or corporate piloting business. It accurately shares the good, bad and ugly.

Thanks again.

I can say that this site brings to light of how much different this business is today than 20 years ago. Most aspiring pilots are good, competent pilots but there are some that are not as much so. It appears to me that those in the minority really couldn't get an airline job because their experience and skills were carefully considered. Now it is more of getting seats filled and anyone willing to accept the low salaries are not lacking of numbers. This will lower the average quality of the industry for certain. The question will always be, does it make a difference? An issue very difficult to quantify unless largely exposed in the most tragic of ways.

Last edited:
Most aspiring pilots are good, competent pilots but there are some that are not as much so. It appears to me that those in the minority really couldn't get an airline job because their experience and skills were carefully considered. Now it is more of getting seats filled and anyone willing to accept the low salaries are not lacking of numbers. This will lower the average quality of the industry for certain.

Well, I now know one guy that may be the poster child for this statement.

Great read on "The Truth about the Profession".

The only way anymore to enjoy this profession is a true love of flying airplanes. Not the ego boosting thought of being an airline pilot. And I feel sorry for all Captains and First Officers that have to fly with the egotist. Two of them in the cockpit has to be miserable for both at levels I can't imagine.

Two different issues. 1. If he wants to fly, his age is not an issue. My new hire class had 8 out of 20 that were over 40. It's very common today to see career changers or late starters. 2. Can he 'afford' to pick up this career path?

10/30/2006 is the most jr awarded captain. Another 250 should start flowing to AA by winter so this will bring the upgrades into mid 07.

I'm always confused about the flow-through process. What in your opinion has to happen to trigger another group to go over to AA? I keep hearing they have to get through the entire furlough list and I've heard that they have to start hiring off the street.

I'm always confused about the flow-through process. What in your opinion has to happen to trigger another group to go over to AA? I keep hearing they have to get through the entire furlough list and I've heard that they have to start hiring off the street.

No that is for the 850 or so guys with numbers. It is really confusing and I don't 100% know how it works since I am not apart of it, but AA is currently sending another round of letters and I am hearing only about 3 out of 10 are accepting this round. Once they go through the entire list they then tap back into another 250 eagle guys. Originally they were being told plan spring of 2012, but now they are being told be ready as soon as the fall. After those guys go which will probably be about 30-40 a month AA sends another round of recall letters. When AA starts hiring off the streets which could be as soon as 2013 they will then take another 850 or so guys from eagle, but it will be 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 type of a deal. I don't think they have come to an agreement yet on that. Now take everything I just said with a grain of salt since I am not 100%, but more like 80% this is how it is going down.

Hoping you are correct or at least in the ball park. New captains will be off of reserve in a few months and new FOs will barely touch it.

I have no idea though how Eagle can replace that many pilots. I have a feeling it would make staffing so critical, they may try to put a stop to the flow, or at least a temporary hold.

Latest resources

Back