• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember there was no retirement age until the FAA was invented in 1958, a deal between C R Smith head of AAL and the FAA head to get rid of high senority pilots who cost too much was done in the name of safety. ALPA fought it for a few years in an attempt to restore it to no age limit. The last over 60 121 pilot retired in 1999 at age 69. He was grandfathered under the old 135 scheduled commuter rules in the 1996 overhaul of pax ops.

pilotyip said:
Remember there was no retirement age until the FAA was invented in 1958, a deal between C R Smith head of AAL and the FAA head to get rid of high senority pilots who cost too much was done in the name of safety. ALPA fought it for a few years in an attempt to restore it to no age limit. The last over 60 121 pilot retired in 1999 at age 69. He was grandfathered under the old 135 scheduled commuter rules in the 1996 overhaul of pax ops.

Is this the same reason why Swissair has age 55 retirement? Was there a deal with C R Smith and the Swiss gov't too?

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Let's hope they raise the retirement age for firemen and policemen too. I can't wait for a 62 year old fireman to carry me out of a burning building over his shoulder....yeah, riiiiiight.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Hey general,
You must be confusing your job with your hobby, pumping the dog's pooter!When was the last time you had to do anything more tiring than programing the fms? Oh yeah the dog. Do you really equate what you do as equal, to being a Police Officer or even richer a Firefighter. You have hit a new low!
Go back to the dog
PBR

SpacemanSpiff said:
It should pass. It is the right thing to do. It is a shame that many experienced and highly professional pilots have been forced into retirement by this arbitrary rule. The raise to 65 is a good first step.

ALPA has been really gutless on this issue and should be ashamed of themselves.

Spiff:cool:

It is obvious that you know very little then, about what has been going on! ALPA has been under lots of pressure from most of it's members at the Legacy carriers to not extend the age 60 rule to 65 or 63. Infact many pilots at theese places have essentially protested this rule change.

ALPA works for money and the pilots at Legacy carriers give them quite a bit of it and those guys (for the most part) don't want this rule to change.

Try to be informed.

General I think the Swiss rule came from the Swiss gov't who owned the airline up until a few years ago.

I for one support the change.

Yes, the old guys knew the rule but they did not know that their pensions would be snatched from them at the last minute.

The way of the future is the B-plan and I for one want as many years as possible for this to mature.

This combined with the rise in medical costs allows you to at least get to Medicare by the time you retire.

I also think that it is better to get 5 years tacked on at the end of your career when you will be making the most money.

Yes it sucks now, especially for guys trying to jump to the next level, but it is better for the PROFESSION. As much as everyone here preaches that, its time to practice it and bite the bullet for the short-term.

Pilots MUST band together instead of trying to stab eachother in the back in order to upgrade or jump to a major. Until that changes, we will see more *************************s, MORE Mesa, and MORE crap from management.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back