AGE 65 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

daysleeper2621

Why do pilots want to increase the Age 60 rule? I've heard that it's being discussed in Congress right now and will probably pass, but why in the world would anyone want it to? If the retirement is changed to 65 then all that will happen is the most senior pilots making tons of money will simply stay at the top for 5 more years and every airline will remain pretty stagnant until they reach age 65 and begin retiring. Those who are furloughed since 9/11 will remain furloughed and those trying to go to a major from a regional will be stuck in their current position for 5 more years. And what do you think management is going to do when it's time to create new contracts with the pilot groups? They're going to DECREASE the pay scales since pilots can't argue that they need to be paid enough money to be able to retire at age 60 anymore and since they will be paying the most senior pilots their huge salaries for five more years. I would like to hear the positives that could come out of this new law if it passes because I just don't see any.

How little you know

First of all don't think all Pilots who reach the age of 60 want to retire. There are many pilots who enjoy their jobs as pilots and hope that the Age 60 rule is changed. I know what you want is for the Old Pilots to retire so you can finally get a flying job but you are going to have to get alot more hours and experience than you have now. I recommend you try to find a job as an Instructor Pilot and build some hours or join the military. I hope to be around for a while and hope the Age 60 rule will be lifted.

I believe that over the last three decades or so the average life span for a man has increased quite a bit. I would think that not only is the life span increasing but the health of older men is also getting better. So if in the 1960's the retirement age for an airline pilot was 60 (presumably for health/safety reasons) then to me it makes perfect sense to increase this age. By how much I don't know but as painful as it is to us I really think it needs to happen.

No matter what age is settled on, the debate will only subside for a while. In about 10 years or so, people will want to raise it again to 67, or 68, or 75. What is needed is real, objective tests of ability and performance verses age. Some people may be forced out at thier prime, but others are definately past ripe. Arbitrarily picking an age is the wrong way to decide.

goofyleftwich said:
you are a Fing idiot if you are in favor of raising the mandatory retirement age..........period
Maybe, but the issue will not go away without a fight, so be prepared to back up your opinion with some useful facts. I wouldn't count on ALPA to save the day on this one either.

Why do so few want to change the rules in the middle of the game because they did not plan for retirement or lived above their means. We all love flying but I also have a life outside flying and will happily retire at 60 and make a slot for another pilot to fulfill his dream. I am not sure but, I believe controllers have a mandatory retirement too. Do you want a 70 year old controller vectoring you to the ILS in ATL on a bad WX day.

Birddog said:
No matter what age is settled on, the debate will only subside for a while. In about 10 years or so, people will want to raise it again to 67, or 68, or 75. What is needed is real, objective tests of ability and performance verses age. Some people may be forced out at thier prime, but others are definately past ripe. Arbitrarily picking an age is the wrong way to decide.
Thank you. At least there's one other person out there with some common sense.

disillusion said:
Do you want a 70 year old controller vectoring you to the ILS in ATL on a bad WX day.
I don't care how old the controller is. I want him/her to be FIT FOR THE JOB! Age is meaningless. Let's abolish a mandatory age altogether and establish a real form of measure for capacity to perform one's job.

Are you happier having a 47 y/o controller who is unfit for duty for whatever reason than a 70 y/o fit controller?

Latest resources

Back