Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mooney flier

OLD GEEZER NEEDS HELP:
Where in Part 135 are the age 60 limitations spelled out? I've been through 135 and 119 and can't find a thing. Either I'm going blind or the FAA lawyers have hidden it. All I can find are 121.383 and 61.3(j). All assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there is one except for the limits mentioned in 61.3j. In other words as long as you are not doing scheduled international in an aircraft with more than 9 seats or 7500 lb payload capacity or in a turbo jet OR nonscheduled international with more than 30 seats or 7500 lb payload capacity, there would be no age limit.

That sounds as though the 135 operations available to us old folks are any domestic, or any scheduled international in non tubojet with less than 7500 lb payload capacity and less than 10 seats, and any nonscheduled international with less than 7500 lb payload capacity and 31 seats.

[Edit] I noticed that both 121.383 and 135.95 are titled "Airman: Limitations on use of services." Since the age limitations appear in 121.383, it would seem that the limits for 135 operations, if there were any, would appear in 135.95. Instead, 135.95 addresses only the need for airmen to hold the apporpriate certificates and that he be appropriately qualified for the operations to be conducted.

Last edited:
Andy Neill:
Thanks for your response. You read the regs the same way I did. I just thought that I was missing something. You fly along thinking you're Sky King, then you turn 60 and can't even fly DC-3 copilot to Juarez.

reaperman:

Did you have a particular article in mind? avweb has so many articles on age 60 that it would take weeks to read them all.

fly DC-3

sure you can fly the DC-3 after age 60, as long as it isn't carrying pax, the DC-3 is a 135 airplane in cargo ops, becasue it dosen't carry more than 7,500#'s. You can still DC-8's, B727's and CV-580's after age 60 , under part 125

pilotyip,

All true, but the way I read FAR61.3(j) , you can't fly any of those airplanes international. Can an ole geezer take a Falcon to Mexico, pick up a load of auto parts, and fly them to WillowRun? Basically, that's the real question behind my origional posting.
Thanks for your reply.

Mis read of 61.3

61.3 says you can do it after age 60, if the you haul less than 7,500#'s of cargo, so 135 guys can "holding out" int'l in DA-20's over age 60. Flying B727's int'l with cargo under part 125 is not "holding out" therefore is not for compensation or hire, it is a provate operator lots of peiople are doing it everyone into Mexico, no one has been violated yet. Besides watch out how you use "old giesser" (sp?), it is the best thing that can happen to you as you age, for there is only one thing that stops the aging process. I have already made it there, I am the lucky one

pilotyip

Obviously I have a lot to learn. Please explain "holding out". Does that mean flying for free? Also, does an on-demand freight operation have to be under 135 or can it just operate under 125?

As you may have guessed, I'm an ex-121 pilot who will be 63 in Sept. I've been doing some HS-125 contract work for the past couple of years but an interesting oportunity on a heavy recip has come up and I'm checking on the legalities of doing it.

Thanks again for your replies

Latest resources

Back