Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 Question (No Flame Bait) Recent Developments??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airbus_jas

Anybody with direct knowledge, have any info about the latest age 60 rumblings with FAA administrator, Marion Blakely?

The other thread ongoing here:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=91916

mentions only legislative action.

I know this movement has been mired in subcommittee after subcommittee, never making it to the house or senate floor, for at least the last five years. After dieing when congress recessed last month, I thought that was it for a while.

However this week, as referenced by an earlier thread here, there were several news reports that Blakely herself, was going to make an announcement soon. The news reports implied, she was going to come out and make a decision on her own. That seemed far fetched to me.

After talking to an ALPA buddy of mine, he is under the impression that a NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) is what Marion will be announcing. Not an actual congressional change in the law, as is implied in the other thread.

Anybody have any CREDIBLE information? Not a pro/con thread. Just information please. Just like the name of this web board "Flight Info".

Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Andy is the expert on the subject, especially as relates legislative efforts within the Senate. Neverthless, I have a similar hunch that an NPRM will be issued and the public comment period will be opened. That DOES NOT mean a change to age 65 would become the new FAA regulation. By issuing the NPRM and inviting public comment, the Adminstrator will have political cover to justify whatever decision is made.

They opened up public comment last year. It was worthless to them. it was full of comments from wives who couldn't imagine these old farts around the house all the time. Of course they wanted the rule changed.

She doesn't have have the balls to do something as reckless to public safety as changing the rule. She doesn't want to shoulder the responsiblility. She will likely say there isn't enough evidence to ammend the rule.

It will likely not pass legislative muster either. There isn't enough support for change.

Andy is the expert on the subject, especially as relates legislative efforts within the Senate.

Thanks; I am obviously biased, but I try to not shoot straight on the issue.

There are three possible avenues for change: judicial, legislative, and regulatory.

Judicial: Been pursued multiple times; the judicial system has refused to change the rule.

Legislative: With the 110th Congress, it's much less likely to change. Sens Inouye and Rockefeller oppose a change; they are Chairman of the Transportation Committee and Aviation Subcommittee. They have the power to let S 65 die in subcommittee.
The one opportunity for it to pass is if it remains attached to the transportation appropriations bill.

Regulatory: The FAA can change the rule. I've read about the rumors of Administrator Blakey announcing an NPRM on age60rule.com. Yesterday, they said that she would announce it at a press conference at the National Press Club on 19 Jan. There was nothing on the Press Club's schedule for that date. Today, age60rule.com stated that the NPRM will occur on 30 Jan.
This isn't the first time that one of these sites have posted rumors of the FAA changing the rule.

I don't expect Blakey to make any announcement; I think that she will just let the issue die a quiet death. This is based on a number of things, not the least of which was a press conference by her last spring.

However, if there is an NPRM, it is very likely that the age 60 rule will change. I just don't see the FAA going to that length and then not changing the rule.

Thanks; I am obviously biased, but I try to not shoot straight on the issue.

You try NOT to? :D I always found your stuff to be honest and straight forward so I can only assume your fingers need a rest....

As to the info, your assessment is largely correct. I think the legislative angle may be dead for now given the leanings of the new majority party. The judicial avenue is dead and buried and has been for quite some time. The real question mark is Blakey. I just can't help but feel the snowball is beginning to roll downhill and Blakey is just trying to keep from getting bowled over by it. The political reality of having airline pilots from other countries running around the U.S. past the age of 60 but not U.S. pilots is very tough to defend. I think the Administrator is beginning to feel the pressure.

You try NOT to? :D I always found your stuff to be honest and straight forward so I can only assume your fingers need a rest....

DOH! I hate typos. I don't care who you are, that there's funny stuff. :laugh:

As far as Blakey, that is truly a question mark. There are a lot of resons why I could see her maintaining the status quo, but do not know what pressures she faces with the ICAO change. I also don't know what the effect will be of the shift in power in Washington. If she were to do it, I would have expected her to announce an NPRM and make the change last year to coincide with ICAO.
The fact that the rumored announcement has slid to the right makes me think that it will die a quiet death.
There are people in the FAA on both sides of the issue. Like so many rumors, I think that after the third person passes on the story, it's distorted to the point where you can't be sure one way or the other. And I think that's what happened in this case. It could go either way.

. The judicial avenue is dead and buried and has been for quite some time.

I don't think the judicial is dead and buried. There has been a significant change to the situation.
The FAA is now allowing non-citizens to work as pilots on US soil past age 60 but it is prohibiting US citizens from performing the same job based soley on the age of the US citizen.

The real question mark is Blakey. I just can't help but feel the snowball is beginning to roll downhill and Blakey is just trying to keep from getting bowled over by it. The political reality of having airline pilots from other countries running around the U.S. past the age of 60 but not U.S. pilots is very tough to defend. I think the Administrator is beginning to feel the pressure.

I'll eat crow on this one. Based on information that I've been able to gather, there is indeed a move afoot within the FAA to have a NPRM come out later this spring addressing a change to age 60. Of course the process will be lengthy; I wouldn't expect any change to take effect for at least a year after the NPRM is announced; likely longer.

I'll repeat this: IF a NPRM comes out, it's not a question of whether or not age 60 will change - it's more a matter of what form the change will be.

I'll eat crow on this one. Based on information that I've been able to gather, there is indeed a move afoot within the FAA to have a NPRM come out later this spring addressing a change to age 60. Of course the process will be lengthy; I wouldn't expect any change to take effect for at least a year after the NPRM is announced; likely longer.

I'll repeat this: IF a NPRM comes out, it's not a question of whether or not age 60 will change - it's more a matter of what form the change will be.

I've eaten crow plenty and a little Hui Fong hot sauce makes it go down a LOT better. I'll send you some....:beer:

As you say, there are people on both sides within the FAA and the aviation community at large. But it just seems to me the momentum is with the pro-change crowd. Even 5 years ago, the issue was a complete non-starter. Today, the drumbeat grows louder. In the aviation community, on the message boards, in the halls of Congress, and now, frequently, in the press.

As with everything, the devil will be in the details: Implementation immediately or phased in; retroactive to a certain age above 60 or not; elegibility of over 60 F/E's (ROPEs) still on the property e.g. NWA; a new age limit on other forms of commercial flying (91K, 135) or not; new medical certification standards based on aging; etc.

I just don't want to be the poor sap that has to sort through the THOUSANDS of public comments that will hit the FAA doorstep if an NPRM is issued.

Latest resources

Back