• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Why do you say that? It's what you're pushing for. You don't want to admit it, but you are against "age discrimination" against airline pilots. In other words, you don't admit that aging is a safety factor. Forget ICAO studies, talk to your FO's.

Sadly, it's very much like senior drivers... you could never convince one that it might be time to hang it up for their own good as well as for those around them. It's very much like your crowd opposing the age 60 rule.

Many FAR's were written in blood. Does this one need to be too?

I believe you'll be very surprised in just a few weeks. In fact, there will be many surprises.

Have you forgotten that the FAA Administrator and the Sec. of Transportation are Republicans who were appointed by a Republican? No matter what the results of the next election, that won't chanage. And you saw the age 60/65 letter to the Administrator signed by 12 of the most powerful Republican Senators, right? And have you read the ARC comments? Do you think that any of this is a factor in the outcome, no matter HR.65/S.65? And besides, do you really think any Democratic Senator wants to oppose this change so as to hear all this again at 10 times the level next year? I don't really think so.

Andy: With all due respect, change is in the air. You're still invited to my 60th.

The FAA could have changed this rule anytime they wanted to. If they were going to change it, it would already be in writing.
I assume that you've seen the clip that Klako's plastered everywhere of Blakey commenting at Sun 'n Fun. This issue isn't even on her radar screen. And not all 12 of those 'powerful' Republican Senators will be reelected.

Have you noticed that United will be recalling two classes of 20 starting in January? They'll be recalling 40/mo until they shut down TK for the summer. With United's forecast YOY growth of 1% (requiring ~70 additional pilots), they would be awful fat on pilots next summer if they are planning on minimal losses for retirement. The forecast for 2007 recalls is more than 300.

As for your invite - I find it rather tacky when there are almost 300 United pilots who have not yet been offered recall. Did anyone mention to you that they also lost their pensions? Oh, but they have more years to recover - they can adjust to a lower standard of living. I guess that after 9/11, it was too late for you to adjust to a lower standard of living; you only had 5+ years. And a bunch of stock and bond money.

The 737 was certified 2 pilot while the Super 80 was initially 3 pilots. ALPA wanted to spare the larger DAL pilot group the dirty work, so they stuck Frontier with the task of holding the line on 3rd pilot. Frontier did not hold the line and it fell to Wien Alaska. Frontier pilots felt it unrealistic to hold the line for 3 pilots on a two pilot aircraft when DAL was going to fly the certified 3 pilot S80 with two. The FAL MEC was placed in trusteeship as a resut of this.

That's all ancient history, really. But, NO ONE can deny we'd be better off with three pilot flightdecks! It has proved to be of incredible safety importance. Some things we should not change, age 60 retirement might be one as well.

Wasn't it the DC-9 not the MD-80 at DAL. I agree with everything else.

I assume that you've seen the clip that Klako's plastered everywhere of Blakey commenting at Sun 'n Fun. This issue isn't even on her radar screen. And not all 12 of those 'powerful' Republican Senators will be reelected.

Have you noticed that United will be recalling two classes of 20 starting in January? They'll be recalling 40/mo until they shut down TK for the summer. With United's forecast YOY growth of 1% (requiring ~70 additional pilots), they would be awful fat on pilots next summer if they are planning on minimal losses for retirement. The forecast for 2007 recalls is more than 300.

As for your invite - I find it rather tacky.

Funny you should ask about the Sun'n Fun video. Who do you think the questioner was? Do you think it might have been UndauntedFlyer? And that video was just the start of the FAA getting into high gear to do what is the right thing. And right now they are full speed ahead to end the age discrimination and the discrimination against Americans. This change will be the best thing to happen to the pilot group in years.

In just a few years, we will look back and see ending the age 60 rule the same as ending discrimination by race and gender. All of these were ended because it is wrong and it is only the right thing to end it, or so everybody really knows.

Regarding UAL, the fact that they are in a rush to recall lots of pilots is a sure sign to me that they think the age 60 rule will change.

Regarding the party, do I take your answer then to be a no you won't be there? I really do hope you change your mind. You'll be my special guest of honor if you can make it. Bring your friends too.

This change will benefit the profession in the long run.

Andy and other FI members: What did you think of the CAMI letter to the FAA? (post 1180)

Last edited:
Would you care to elaborate on this reasoning?

Good qustion Flopbut: I was hoping someone would answer it. Of course UAL doesn't have a crystal ball any more than anyone else, even including me, you or Andy.

But just based on my experience, big companies are usually about 180 degrees out of phase with the world because they are about 6 months behind on changes. Example: They hire 500 only to furlough from that group before the last pilot completes training.

Of course the announcement of recalls could also mean a big expansion so that every pilot, furloughees and over age 60 pilots will be needed. I think we all like the second thought better.

I reckon what Andy was saying about your coy invitation to your sexagenarian gala is, "stick it up your arse". Just a guess though. Have fun and don't forget to take your motorized chair from the Scooter Store. When Wilford Brimley gets there tell him that changing the age 60 rule is the "right thing to do". He'll agree with you and might even get you a good deal on a Liberty Mutual testing kit.

Undaunted,

Nobody wants to hang out with you in HNL. I have been at the Seaside most of the month....and I have asked around....NOBODY wants to party with you.

RETIRE! Stop making such a FOOL of yourself and once again can you PLEASE answer the guys on the UAL-MEC ALPA Board, EXACTLY who said you speak for the UAL pilot group...CAUSE YOU DON'T!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back