Ag flying questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any good companies in El Centro?

Try farm air. They are out of the Brawley Airport. My former boss knows Tony very well. They are a good company to work for. They are at the west end of the airport. There is also DS dusters. I don't know much about them. They set right off interstate 8 just east of El Centro.

From Ag Air Update online...

Experience pilot needed ASAP. Full time/long term in Blythe, CA. Must have turbine time (Thrush/Air Tractor) and GPS experience. Obtain CA/AZ license. Night experience preferable. Fax resume and refs to 760-922-4051 (08-08)
[email protected] ,

Thanks for the help. I was talking to a guy who's kid works of out of that area and said it was difficult. But I will check it out. Thanks.

You're not going to ask about the quality of life, this time?

Several PHX area operators. Do you have AT-802 time?

The first way you can start is taking the Commercial Applicator test and Aerial Application tests in the state you want to work. I found an operator that took a chance with me. It took me one and half years working for him as a mechanic, then he started my spraying in an agcat with a radial. I would get myself a copy of the Ag Air Update. They are always looking for pilots. Most operators would rather train you themselves.

Wilky,

I was under the impression you couldn't take the respective state pesticde tests unless you were "sponsored" by an operator. I know the couple of ag schools don't really give you much besides some time in an ag plane (I used to teach T/W at one), but don't the insurance companies give any weight to a school trained pilot?

Mike-

One may order the test materials and test in many states (not all) without working there or being sponsored by someone there.

An ag school gives someone the basic idea of what's expected...but with the few hours one gets coming out of a school...it's such a drop in the bucket it's really not significant. The only advantage to be gained in such a school is some rudimentary instruction in the basics, and a recommendation to a known operator.

Schools aren't accredited, and have no credentials upon which an operator's insurance may stake a claim. The bottom line is whether the operator will vouch for the pilot. Unlike a corporate airplane or an airliner, the new hire is going to be all on his own when he goes to work, and the operator's trust is really the yardstick by which the insurer does the measuring...certainly not the ag school.

Stearmman4,

Avbug is right about the insurance and schools. My boss trained me rather than sending me to school. It depends on what type of the country you will be spraying in. In Arizona you don't have to be sponsered. I just went in an took both tests. There weren't any good study guides for me, but being around it for 1 1/2 year prior, I had picked up a lot of knowledge and had no problem with either test. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Latest resources

Back