• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Westwindaviator

Flight school

Friends,

I could use a little help from anyone who might have some info on the following topic: I am currently enrolled in, and am pretty much committed to attending the Westwind Academy near Phoenix AZ. The only thing I am waiting for is the Air Force to release me from active duty.

In another forum, an individual mentioned that there had been some horror stories floating around about this particular school. If anyone wants enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated.

What is the consensus on the best accelerated flight training type school? Or is there such a thing?

There isn't a Part 141 approved flight school around here. I feel like the only way to get it done is to move somewhere specifically for the purpose getting started with my training.

Best,

Chris

Last edited:
I think you are at a pretty good school. I didn't see the posts saying bad things about it. There is however a post discussing its better points. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get all of your ratings in a 100 mph rush right now. I don't see anyone with low time (1000 hrs) making it into the regionals any time soon. Now, if you are in a hurry b/c you want to instruct, well that's a different story. There are always jobs to instruct and part of westwinds' curriculum is to hire you as an instructor. I'd stick with them. No matter where you go, all flight schools of any size have their problems. You will not hear all good things about all schools. Everyone has their own experiences. There's really no since in trying to move to Florida (which is where most flight schools are) to get pretty much the same training. Plus, you'll have better training weather out there in AZ. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I knew there would be students out there that felt disappointed for whatever the reason. I do plan to be an intern instructor with the school, and I'm pretty sure I can make the best out of just about anything. The guy had me a little worried, I feel better now about it now, thanks.

snoopy_1 said:
you need to change the subject line to something somebody will understand. nobody probably knows what aft means and it won't capture there interest.

Thanks for the advice. I attempted to do this immediately after making the post last night. I entered the words 'flight school' into the subject field, it appeared only at the top of the thread, but not out in the index.

Mach 1 v. 100 kt Flight Training

I instructed at three 141 schools, Riddle in Prescott, FSI in Vero, and Mesa in Farmington. It's true; there are plusses and minuses at any 141 school. Plenty of minuses in terms of BS. As long as you're satisfied with your training and how you're being treated, don't switch. And take the treatment with a grain of salt.

The after-graduation CFI hire is vital. Keep any displeasure to yourself. You never know who's listening around a 141 school. I agree with the above about being in a rush. Just stay with the program. Hiring will be slow for a while. If you mind your Ps and Qs, make a positive impression and maintain a positive attitude, you will be well-positioned when hiring picks up. By the way, hiring always picks up after an economic downturn.

Best of luck with your training.

Thank you very much. That sounds like a very good philosophy, and sound advice. I'll keep that in mind, and I plan to work hard, not necessarily fast. I should have made it clear in my original post, that I am in South Dakota presently. I have to wait for the AF to let me go, as all separations and retirements have been suspended pending the current operations. When I said there are no part 141 schools around, I was referring to where I am at for the time being. I was accepted to Westwind prior to the events unfolding on Sep 11th, and had an original class date of 7 Jan 02. Unfortunately, I've had to work with the school's admin. to continuously push that date out. It would have been unfortunate to have gained knowledge that would have compelled me to change my plans at this stage. This is why I am very grateful for the response that I have received here from professional individuals like yourself, and not just hear-say spread about by the unknowing. Thanks once again for your valuable time and thoughts.

Best,

Latest resources

Back