Africa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TurboS7

Just got back from a quick trip to Gabon and Cameroon. It was my first time ever to Africa. My daughters both used to live in Cameroon one of my daughters lived there for 2 years. It was great to visit even if we were only on the ground for 4 hours. The ATC system is really messed up, and the procedures are diffrent than any place on earth. Lucky for me I got to fly there with a checkairman that has a lot of Africa experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone flying there unless they have an experienced person or have done significant study prior. Otherwise great trip. We jumped in the back of the empty airplane and flew all the way back to Miami. Sure beats sitting on seat 49A on SIA(South African Airways) for 9.0 hours.

Last edited:
I flew with an F/A not to long ago who was from Lusaka, Zambia. It was so interesting to hang out and talk to her about the city she was from. Definitely one of my better trips. Funny though, because she kept telling stories about how some ignorant pilots would hear her accent and that she was from Africa, and ask, "So it's nice living here now, no more huts?" Seriously. WTFO?

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/za.html

I'd really like to get to Africa to see some different areas, but I really think I'll need a tour guide.

I interviewed for a company in Gabon back in October (Air Service Gabon, I believe was the name). They fly Dash 8s and twotters. Unfortunately it did not work out, but I think Africa would be a very beautiful place to visit, especially French Africa.

TurboS7 said:
The ATC system is really messed up, and the procedures are diffrent than any place on earth. Lucky for me I got to fly there with a checkairman that has a lot of Africa experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone flying there unless they have an experienced person or have done significant study prior.

Turbo,

What aspects of the African ATC exposure struck you as the most bothersome/tricky ?

Passenger 57: He's got a bad seat...

...and a bad attitude.

And that SOB is trying to light his ^%$&^ing shoe on fire!!!!

Just kidding.

My whole grand Africa experience was about the same. I spent about four hours in Cairo and then commercial'd out on Alitalia where I got to flirt with the ticket agent a little.

Anyway, that's my story.
Ciao.

TurboS7 said:
Just got back from a quick trip to Gabon and Cameroon. It was my first time ever to Africa. My daughters both used to live in Cameroon one of my daughters lived there for 2 years. It was great to visit even if we were only on the ground for 4 hours. The ATC system is really messed up, and the procedures are diffrent than any place on earth. Lucky for me I got to fly there with a checkairman that has a lot of Africa experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone flying there unless they have an experienced person or have done significant study prior. Otherwise great trip. We jumped in the back of the empty airplane and flew all the way back to Miami. Sure beats sitting on seat 49A on SIA(South African Airways) for 9.0 hours.
Wow....what do you guys fly that goes all the way to Africa?

Latest resources

Back