• Friendliest aviation community on the web

frog_flyer

Caucasian Male
99 pilot
85 nav
76 AA
66 verbal
79 quantitative

... i knew the analogies raped me, but dang!

I'm currently in ROTC, but can any of you guard/reserve guys comment if your unit would give a call to a guy with those scores?

100 pft, ppl and 60 hours, 3.4 gpa, captain of hs hockey team, various sga offices in college, yada yada.

Thanks alot!

Those are his AFOQT scores. Where the Navy/Marines have the ASTB, the Air Force uses AFOQT.

I was selected by a Guard unit a couple months ago. Like you I did a couple semesters of AFROTC before deciding not to contract and going the Guard route.

Those are pretty strong scores, but in my limited experience its all about the whole person concept, and with the Guard its about being the kind of guy they want around. Thats vague, I know, but that's the way it is. The first thing they seem to be asking one another is, "Can we tolerate to have this guy around for maybe 20 years?" If so, you've got a shot.

There are plenty of guys with much worse scores than you that have been selected. My scores were all in the 90's, but that's not what got me hired. (Didn't hurt either.) It's all about the whole package, luck, and timing. Go for it. Start hitting up units. With the other things you've mentioned that would go in a potential package, I'd say you've got a great shot. There's only one way to know for sure...

Last edited:
Reserve units I've seen don't call UPT candidates. UPT candidates call them and they tell you when the interviews are.

If you're asking whether your scores are good enough to get hired. Sure, but your AFOQT score is one factor, and definitely not the most important. People get hired with lower scores than those all the time.

Most important factor is probably if you have ties to the local area. Lots of units won't seriously consider an applicant not from the area in some way. Next important is how well you can relate and interact with the folks in the squadron. They are going to be a lot more interested in seeing what you're about and what it's like being around you than how well you did on some stupid tests.

In fact they'll probably be more interested in how many shots you can take than how well you did on the PFT.

Best of luck to you, and one word of advice, don't let the first time you go to the squadrons be the day of the interview.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have alot of things to consider. I go up for a scholarship this year, so that could be a big factor. TCU is fuggin expensive.

I think I need to go rush some units, but karma, I've heard that it's better to stay sober than booze it up when you're rushin.

Thanks again fellas.

Latest resources

Back