Afghanistan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J. Basedow

A neighbor of mine owns a Beech 1900 and is trying to contract it out for troop movement in Afghanistan. Asked me if I would be interested (month "on"/month "off" type of flying. Never flown a Beech 1900 so would have to go to school to get typed (have flown the C-90).

Curious about current conditions, major operational fields that they move troops in and out of, special procedures etc>

I am a Retired Navy Pilot: C-130, Dc-9, T-34, T-28 and flew for Gemini Air Cargo until they shut the doors in 2008. Flew one mission into Bagram with the DC-10. Steep approach at night, packs "off", lights "off" etc but don't remember much else.

Any info that I can gain from here would be appreciated. I am assumingthat he would have to file ICAO flight plans and get his weather on the various bases. He is a civilian and never done this before.

He has had preliminary talks but nothing firm yet. Supposedly the contract rate for the airplane would be very lucrative (not sure it is worth dyeing over)!

Any thoughts and considerations would be appreciated.

As far as specific locations, troop movements, numbers, etc that's all sensitive info that's not appropriate here. However a 1900 flown by a competent safety minded crew should do fine. Expect unimproved strips, questionable lighting at night, no radar coverage, marginal ATC coverage anywhere but the big three. At the very least I'd get a good GPS system with terrain, and be vewy vewy careful at night and in IMC.

The mountains out there are littered with wreckage of contract turbo props piloted by guys that tried to wing it. Not impossible but the desicion making is much harder, with terrain and weather unlike anywhere else in the world. Be safe.

the night only, no lights, stay as high as possible stuff for OAIX is long gone. We operate there 24/7 with no problems. ATC is vastly improved over what it was back then.

the night only, no lights, stay as high as possible stuff for OAIX is long gone. We operate there 24/7 with no problems. ATC is vastly improved over what it was back then.

Great avatar, radio/ATC coverage was less than awesome 8 months ago in certain parts.

Contract's are being cut and reshuffled. Think Avenge is shrinking. Presidential is now under AAR. Dynamic always seems to need pilots (lowest pay?). Dyncorp in the mix. For airlift, the DHC-8 seems to be a big player. Well suited for the unimproved field operations. KA's for ISR.

Latest resources

Back