Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medivacer

Putting my time in.
I'm curious to know if it would be worth while installing a panel mount GPS thats IFR capable. Or go the old fashion route and piggy back a portable VFR GPS on airways/routes? (of course using VOR's and ADF's)

Or is there a portable gps unit that is also capable of shooting IFR approaches (I have doubts on this one).

I haven't flown IFR in three years, and haven't read much about the advances in GPS, forgive me if this sounds retarded. Yes, I know I need to do a ride first to get back in the game...

Money isn't terribly an issue, I'm just looking for a ball park right now.

Thanks

I don't believe there are any handhelds that are IFR approved. For that you need a panel mount. The reason for having an approved GPS is not for enroute flying. It's the approaches. Many airports have only GPS approaches and more are being added all the time.

Don't waste your money, get a Garmin yoke mounted unit, they are dead accurate and the information is right where you need it, just my 2 cents. Now with XM weather available.

It looks like I found something.

I can get a used KLN-90 or apollo unit for around 1500-2000, not including install
From there I need to update the database on a regular basis.

I'm guessing between 2000-2500?

It looks like I found something.

I can get a used KLN-90 or apollo unit for around 1500-2000, not including install
From there I need to update the database on a regular basis.

I'm guessing between 2000-2500?

I have a KLN-90B IFR Certified and it works great. I would like to pair it with an MFD like a MX-20 or similar.

What is the KLN-90b allowed to do under the AC90-100 nonsense? From the looks of it, it has the capability to load Sid/stars and select approaches but under the AC90-100 rules you can't? I'm buying a 414 that has this gps and am contemplating whether it's worth messing with? I'd rather save my bucks and use what I have. Also how is it from a day to day usage point of view; nice or painful? I currently use a apollo gx50 and it does the job but its not the easiest...

Currently AOPA says that the 90B is approved for RNAV sids/stars. That is where the issue comes into play. The AC says the units are not approved, but AOPA has a letter saying that this is not the case. Doing a ground based sid/star with the 90B should not be a problem.

The 90B is a great box and I have several thousand hours behind them. If all you want it for is approaches, it will do just fine. Keep in mind that it will not load the ILS approachs like the Garmin series. You will have to dial that in manually. The install costs will be more than you think, however. You need to tie it into an OBS/HSI and some sort of separate annunicatior/switching panel.

Here is a funny one for you. I am putting a KLN-88 LORAN in the 172 right now. You read right, loran. Same box, same operating logic, same warm green screen, just a different receiver. Granted it can't do approaches, but it is certified for en route ops (read direct nav) as long as the database is up to date. Cost 150 bucks, I'll put another 500 into an annunciator and the OBS head already on board will accept the input.

If you are looking for a cheaper MFD, take a look at the KMD-250. Lots of the same functions as its bigger brother the 550/850, just a smaller screen.

I'm looking at a 414 with one installed. I want direct nav along with the ability to do gps approaches (the only approach into Kaej as well as the Sid/Stars into the larger metropolitan areas...

it seems as if it is a nice unit....rather not spend the dough on a 430/530 until I need it for the Waas (much rather have an air gizmos panel dock and 496 with a functional panel mount gps...

I want direct nav along with the ability to do gps approaches (the only approach into Kaej as well as the Sid/Stars into the larger metropolitan areas
Is that all? Get ready to spend big bucks, usability (via selected heading) and display much better on the Garmin yoke models, have used all described on BE200's and MU2's. In weather and ice the LORAN can be rendered useless, don't assume you're safer with a "IFR" certified unit, just my 2 cents.

Latest resources

Back