AF Reserve retirement question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

caliman

I spent almost 11 years on active duty and am currently in the reserves. I was under the impression that if I worked off the remainder of my 20 years in the reserves that at the age of 60 I would get medical benefits until I was pushing up daisies. I just heard recently that that's not true. I would only get medical from the age of 60 to 65 and then would be pushed to Medicare. Any info on this rumor would be appreciated. Thanks.

I believe Congress passed Tricare for life a few years ago, which supposedly means you get military medical benefits from age 60 to 65, and then Tricare becomes secondary insurance to medicare.

Try googling Tricare for Life--lots of stuff there. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything actually being there--all the money will need to be spent keeping the F-22 flying:)

Not that I'm going to add anything to this thread...

I'm a straight Reservists (never on AD) and was told to never expect anything appreciable in terms of retiremenent or medical benefits. I was basically told to have a good civi job to take care of that and use the Reserves for fun. It ties into your question by seeing guys that have come back to full time Reserves in order to get a "full" 20 in for retirement. I'm guessing it is true what I was told in the beginning..."Guard and Reserves..a full time job with part time benefits!"

I did 9 USAF/11 ANG. Have the Tri-Care packet. Haven't read it but what was said abouve about it being primary from 60-65 and then secondary to Medicade is what I've heard. Fairly small amount to enroll or annual payment. Not sure the details but the program has been enhanced in recent years as a tool to keep reservist in. My buds and I joke that it may be worth more to us in 10 years than the $2200 a month I will get for my military retirement pay.

Latest resources

Back