Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question Aeroshell vs Phillips engine oil?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
It's come up a few times on the Aeroshell vs Phillips, what do you use and why? I personally have a variant of the Lycoming IO-360. I asked the Lycoming booth at EAA AirVenture and they wouldn't answer the question, they just provide the spec for you to decide. Curious what others choose and why.

I have not yet taken delivery on my FX-3 (counting down the days now), but I am planning on using a mineral oil with CamGuard after much reading including Mike Busch and a forum post from the engineer behind CamGuard explaining the design criteria behind it.

"Mineral oil" usually refers to a non-detergent oil that some use during an engine's break-in period. In this context, Mr. Busch may be referring to any oil that is not synthetic or partly synthetic.

The small Continental engine "guru" that built my C90-8 engine recommended using straight grade detergent oil and CamGuard after break-in and I have been happy with that combination in the 800 hours I have run it.

I wouldn't use CamGuard in an engine with new cylinders on it until the piston rings have seated. It lubricates well enough that the rings would take a long time to seat. You will know that the rings have seated when initial oil consumption goes down.

Neal, I don't have the technical knowledge on which to base an opinion on Aeroshell or Phillips oils. I will say that a slight majority of the mechanics I know recommend Phillips 20W50 after the break-in period.

Latest resources

Back