Aerobatic Twin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sky37d

This evening, I was out practicing manuevers, and pulled a 60 degree bank, a little rudder, and elevator, to climb a lot while turning. There was a little grunt factor, some where between ferris wheel and tilt a whirl. This caused me to think that perhaps a skymaster isn't the best plane to be doing this kind of stuff in. I know there are ton's of aerobatic singles, pitts, extra, etc, but what about a twin? You know, something you might actually want to own, and go more than 50 miles in.

Thanks

Bob Hoover

When asked about flying aerobatics in the twin, Bob Hoover said (paraphrasing, not quoting) that you don't need an aerobatic airplane to fly aerobatics, you need an aerobatic airplane to fly aerobatics poorly. I've seen, and someone probably has, video taken from inside the aircraft of him pouring a glass of water/tea from a pitcher while doing a barrel roll - maintaining positive g on the aircraft the entire time.

Thanks,
I guess the next thing is a g-meter so I can tell what i'm pulling

milplt said:
When asked about flying aerobatics in the twin, Bob Hoover said (paraphrasing, not quoting) that you don't need an aerobatic airplane to fly aerobatics, you need an aerobatic airplane to fly aerobatics poorly.
The only aircraft I've ever been in doing a roll was a Citation. There were a couple done and my coffee didn't spill. I was not a crewmember on that aircraft. There is truth to Hoover's statement UNTIL somebody messes up. Everyone doesn't have flawless technique all the time and to do aerobatics in an aircraft not certified for them or without the proper training is in my opinion like playing russian roulette.

I'd imagine that most pilots would do aerobatics "poorly" until they developed a good technique with time and training in an aerobatic airplane. ;)

As to whether there are any civilian twins that are specifically rated for aerobatic flight, I'd say probably not.

Swass said:
I know of some, there called F-14's and F-18's.;)
Yeah, they are like Pitts and Extra's though, not really practical. Thought about a BAC Strikemaster, or Provost, at least they have 2 seats, but they are experimental exhibition, not practical. Oh, and they burn more than 20 gallons per hour, too.

When I was on the airshow circuit years back, I saw a guy, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong), his name was Jolly Roger or something like that....anyway, he did an act in a solid black Aerostar 700. I've also see a routine in a modified Beech-18.

Latest resources

Back