• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aerial Photography Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We're not that low, no lower than 3000' agl on a normal basis. And if it means anything, i was hired with ~250TT.

Pictometry

Sounds like you’re a Pictometry Pilot.... I actually remember those maneuvering tolerances & I could probably fly the light bar after 2 years. WOW, the pay is gone way down. Do you still get a company credit card for rental cars & hotels? Do you have a place in UCA? It's hardly worth it!

FrozenPilot said:
I shoulda just said PM me for details, I'm still working for them. Not sure why MEL is required, though there is the slightest possibility that you would fly the Aztec. Then again, I'm the senior pilot on the road right now, and I've been offered the Aztec. If it actually happens is another thing.

Otherwise, its a great company to work for, great boss & coworkers, planes are well maintained, and if you ever have any safety concerns they'll be addressed. Capt JD has the description right on, the job gets old. I've been doing this for a year and 4 months, I'm ready to move on, but dont have enough time to yet.

You do work everywhere (BTW- Hi Josh!) and its mostly VFR, though you can and will do some IFR and night while relocating to a new job site. Typically you're in one area anywhere from a week to a month, though thats just an average. I've spent as little as a day and as much as three months in one town!

Flying in the winter months runs from 10a-2p and in the summer the window can run from 8a-4p or longer. The only time you don't fly is when theres precip, low clouds or vis, snow cover, or extreme winds, otherwise you are expected to at least "go up and try it". The skills you learn to "fly the lines" transfers well to flying on instruments. Typical limits are 108kts or 139kts (depending on the photo equipment), 0.024mi (~150') either side of the centerline, +200/-100' altitude, +/- 5° bank, +/- 10° pitch, and +/- 20° crab. Its easy (boring) til you get a turbulent day, then its tiring. Working around air traffic is fun too, especially in approach/departure corridors and around VORs. As you are the sole occupant, you get to run the computer for the photo equipment, which can be as simple as pressing play and letting it run.

Equipment is basic IFR, you'll at least get dual NAV's or one NAV with a GPS (not IFR current). Some planes have a few extras that may or may not work: ADF, DME, LORAN, Navomatic, etc. All charts, plates, and currency are paid for. All are equipped with at least 50 gallon usable tanks, so you can stay aloft 5+ hours if you so wish.

Any more questions?

Almost forgot pay... $375/week for your first 6 weeks (i believe this is unchanged) $450/week thereafter. $20/month cell phone reimbursement.

Last edited:
Capt. JD said:
Sounds like you’re a Pictometry Pilot.... I actually remember those maneuvering tolerances & I could probably fly the light bar after 2 years. WOW, the pay is gone way down. Do you still get a company credit card for rental cars & hotels? Do you have a place in UCA? It's hardly worth it!
Company credit card for hotels, rental car is now reimbursed (sucks a$$, but they've been good on reimbursing), and my parents live 2 miles from the airport, so I always have a free place to stay and good food to eat when I'm in town. Doesn't require me to have another place or pay for rent.

Latest resources

Back