• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alaskaairlines

Future Airline Pilot
Hey guys!

I know of a small flight school in Eastern Washington that I plan to go for the weekend to get my high performance sign-off.
Imo I believe I would be getting a sweet deal. The 182 just got a brand new 300 hp engine, and the solo rate is $65 and plus fuel. Thats a very reasonable price, right?
Well one question, what is the requirement for the Commericial rating in regards with a high performance aircraft, 200 hp or more? Any specific amount of hours I need?
The school also has a C150 that rents for like $30 an hour, solo. Awesome deals imo!

I plan on getting the sign-off and flying it around Oregon for a couple of days, whats the fuel burn like in a 300 hp C182? And what are fuel prices like around the Salem area?

Alaska,

No specific hour prereq's. Once you are signed off you are legal to fly. The real question comes when you ask wether or not the insurance company will let you fly it solo. When I first got my high performance checkout in a 182 I believe they wanted 5 hours. That was before insurance companies started clamping down so it might be much worse than that now.

The 182 is still a very forgiving cessna. If you were looking to get checked out in a 206 I would be worried. The 182 is, in my humble opinion, one of the most enjoyable flying airplanes which can haul a good load for it's size. Have fun and good luck.

I read your question again and realized that mabey you were asking what the requirments were for a commercial certificate. You don't need any high performance time, but you do need 10 hours of complex time. Therefore if the 182 you are being checked out in has retractable gear it could be used for commercial training.

Last edited:
C-182s

$65 per hour for a 182 is a decent price. That's what 172s cost wet here in Denver.

As I understand the rules these days regarding high-performance v. complex airplane signoffs, you can knock off both if you do them in a 182RG. If it is a fixed-gear 182, you only get high-performance.

One cautionary word: 182RGs, at least, can be an SOB to land properly unless you can move the CG aft. With two people in front only, more times than not you'll land flat. We used them at Riddle for Commercial-Single and CFI training. I almost always got flat landings. My students, who had their hands on the controls more than me, almost always got flat landings. However, when we had an observer in the back, the airplane landed just fine, as easy as a 172 or any other high-wing Cessna. Speeds in the pattern are about the same as a 172. I recall that 65 kts on final worked well.

Good luck with your checkout.

Last edited:
C182RG is the way a small single should be. Not only is it fast, but it actually can hold 4 adults with full fuel and baggage. Just remember to plan out your arrivals to the pattern and you'll be fine. It doesn't like to slow down.

There's no FAA-required number of hours for the sign-off for any level of pilot from private on up.

But you may want to ask the place what =their= requirement is for time in type before they will permit you to take the airplane solo.

Thanks guys! I talked to the CFI that instructs in it, and he said about 5 hrs to get signed off. Unfortunately its not an RG model.
I don't believe they have any real minimum.
Why would you be worried about a C206? Theres actually a C207 up in ANC that I can get checked out in! Its like $167 solo!

KSLE fuel is $2.34/gal according to:

www.airnav.com

10-12 gph in a C-182, so at your dry rental, you are paying $88.40 to $93.08 an hour. Depending on age you may have to kick in a quart of oil every so often, too!

Enjoy.

Do you guys know what a 182 holds for fuel, and what kind of range it has? Whats it average out for cruise in kts? 140-150?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back