Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV8TR70

I'm looking to change careers, not for the money, my job as a finance manager pays very well, but my ideal career would be flying full time. My wife makes good money so we can do a change at this point in our life. I have about 1100 TT in single, com inst. 35 yrs old. I've started flying on the weekends with a Drop Zone in a Caravan and its only in the right seat, the pilot is giving me sometime flying but I'm not sure if I can log this time or not as PIC. Anyways I'm looking for a company I can fly cargo or charter with. Like a said I'm not looking to get rich or I would stay in my current career. Thanks for any advice.

Don't go into aviation full time if you want to contribute to the slide, flying is a job and not a privilege. It's not fair to other pilots trying to make ends meat if you are going to undercut them because you are able. However, I will offer you advice. With you current ratings you may want to look into sightseeing or skydivers. Really without an AMEL, you are not going to find much in terms of what I think you want to do.

This is still a fantastic career, where ellse can a high school grad have a shot at making $100K/yr by the time they are in their mid-30's . I have seen it happen a number of times. We have number of career changeers working us and they seen to really happy they made the change. My trailer says it all

pilotyip said:
This is still a fantastic career, where ellse can a high school grad have a shot at making $100K/yr by the time they are in their mid-30's . I have seen it happen a number of times. We have number of career changeers working us and they seen to really happy they made the change. My trailer says it all

This is still a horrible career, where ellse can a College grad have a shot at making being furloughed a 10 times by the time they are in their mid-30's . I have seen it happen a number of times. We have number of career changeers working us and they seen to really unhappy they made the change. My trailer says nothing.

There you go two views from each end of the satisfaction index

LOL!!!! Timing is everything. AV8TR70 - where do you live? If in So Cal PM me, I might have a lead for you.

BTW - Yip, is your trailer a double wide?? ;) J/K

Baja.

av8tor70, I have to agree with some of others. This is a job, and you should view it as such. On the other hand there certainly is nothing wrong with pursuing your dreams. Be warned, you will see how quickly it becomes a job when you are stuck out of town in Hotel room and you would like to be watching your sons baseball game, or your daughters first play. Or lets say you want to go to that neighborhood block party with your family this weekend, but instead your gone over the weekend on a pop-up trip. I almost missed my grandmothers funneral because I was stuck in Memphis and had to do 3 more legs until I got to my home base and jumped in my car and drove 6 hours to Buffalo to catch up with the rest of my family. Don't get me wrong though, it can be a very rewarding and enjoyable career if you work for the right company. It can take 2-3 jobs to find that good one. If you are looking to an airline career than you'll have to get in line behind the other 12000 pilots that are applying to one of the few airlines that are hiring, and most of these guys have at least 6000 hours to be even remotely competative. If you are going to do corporate, start building your contacts now, as no one hires a guy from a resume. Word of mouth and knowing someone is key. My advice, If your doing this just to have fun, make it hobby and rent an plane and keep it fun. If your doing this for a career get your CFI and your Commercial MEL. Instructing is a good way to build experience and contacts around you local airport. From there the skys the limit. Good LUCK!!!

Yeah man, there's a lot more that comes along with this "job" than flying. If it were just a matter of going to the airport and flying then you'd probably see a lot more happy people.

I'd seriously research what you're getting yourself into before you waste any time or money. Fact is, no one can tell you what it's going to be like because it's always different for everyone. I would read some worse case scenarios and make sure you're prepared to deal with those otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

I think we all started doing this because we enjoyed flying, fact is probably 90% of the people I've flow with in the last 2-3 years wholeheartedly regret their decision to do this for a living. This includes those with the dreaded "desk job" experience many like to compare it to. Their reasoning is rarely centered just around the money. It can, and most likely will, be a very hard life even if you're already independently wealthy. Quite frankly I wouldn't wish this profession on anyone unless their one and only unwavering interest in life was flying an airplane.

The last two posts really do say it all. All the ranting, raving, and Cool-Aid slurping aside the reality is summed up well by the last two posters.

In our house with two career flyers, the kids are not encouraged to take this up as a profession, but we would support it as a personal growth type recreational activity.

In the long run the QOL just isn't there. Wish I had gone into commercial real estate twenty years ago so I could do the fun flying today. 180 nights a year in hotels doesn't do much for the family life. And there are no new SUVs in my driveway, or hot vacation plans, or boats or vacation houses, etc. I've done corporate and four airlines, and a desk job before all this. Probably should have gotten an MBA and stayed near the desk. Then I'd have the freedom to do as I wished in the free time I chose to make.

Latest resources

Back