Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jafo20

So, like, I'm pretty lucky compared to a lot of guys. My flying job is secure, and I'm slowly working my way into a decent professional spot, etc. I get to see whacky parts of the world, and deal with some strange situations.

That said, I really, really miss my years flying single-pilot night freight. Is fixed-wing air ambulance something a guy can be happy with for the long term? What do you all think about your fixed-wing air ambulance lives?

Does air ambulance look better than it really is?

Do people spend 30 years flying fixed-wing air ambulance?

I believe most "fixed" wing air ambulance companies are mostly on demand part 135. Most of them have CP's and DO's who dont give a crap about anything in your life.... The only thing they care about is keeping the planes flying (which I know is there job). That being said...... stepping stone job, with great international experience, and great overall experience; YES. A job for the long term; we all are different; but for me it was a NO. Being on a pager or cell phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is not a way to live your life forever. Most of them will not honor days off. Most of them will not allow you to schedule a weekend off, most of them are just scumbag operators.

I look back at the air ambulance and appreciate it every day. It made me a better pilot, gave me great experience flying around the world, It makes me respect every "Lifeguard" I hear signing on in the middle of the night; and it makes me appreciate what I have now.

If you are happy with your "secure job" now; I would not recommend leaving it.....

DA50 about sums it up! If you have a schedule, decent equipment, OR decent pay......STAY!!!! You will get none of there with an Air Ambulance operator! What you will get is..... D.O.'s who get bonuses for keeping payroll to a minimum, When red lights come on you are told to ignore them because "that comes on all the time", on call 24-7 (which is illegal I might add) being to be on telephone standby when you are on a "scheduled day off". And best of all, after flying 9.9hrs and being on duty for 17, company says "you're pt91, come on home!!!!" Avoid it like the plague Bro!!!!!

DA50 about sums it up! If you have a schedule, decent equipment, OR decent pay......STAY!!!! You will get none of there with an Air Ambulance operator! What you will get is..... D.O.'s who get bonuses for keeping payroll to a minimum, When red lights come on you are told to ignore them because "that comes on all the time", on call 24-7 (which is illegal I might add) being to be on telephone standby when you are on a "scheduled day off". And best of all, after flying 9.9hrs and being on duty for 17, company says "you're pt91, come on home!!!!" Avoid it like the plague Bro!!!!!

Yeah..... That too.

http://www.corporatecrimereporter.co...yjet020409.htm

Our last few posts give you OUR experiences with the on demand scumbags. This link should advise you also regarding long term emplyment with outfits like this. I know your question was leaning towards air ambulance, however the mentality of these "managers" in this article is the norm for most charter/air ambulance outfit. We like to refer to them as the battered pilots shelter.

If the link doesnt work, it is posted in the charter page under the "Luxury............"

Not trying to talk you out of doing it, just trying to warn you about what types of "Management/ CP's; DO's you are dealing with. Most of them are not "REAL" Chief Pilots or Director of Operations.... They are usually the YES men for the company prior to the position opening.

It really depends on who you work for. I fly for an air ambulance operator and it is nothing like what others have described. Sure, it's tough flying sometimes, but the buck always stops with me. Good ones are out there. Just ask a lot of questions!

It really depends on who you work for. I fly for an air ambulance operator and it is nothing like what others have described. Sure, it's tough flying sometimes, but the buck always stops with me. Good ones are out there. Just ask a lot of questions!

I agree that there are some "good" operators out there. I also know that there A LOT of bad operators too. Its a fun end of the business, and as you said, its extremely tough sometimes.

Good advice on asking alot of questions. Also, know your limits, know the regs, and do not be afraid to say NO.

My experience with Air Ambulance was 180 degrees different than this. No pagers, 4 on 4 off type sched, good equipment with no pressure, (dispatchers would pressure you and you'd tell them to F themselves and management would back you up), good benefits. Downside was pay was marginal. 40k-50k. I chased the money and while I now live in a bigger house, I do miss the flying.

For the guys that fly for Air Ambulances. Did it seem to be a profitable sector of aviation. Also, would it be a smart choice to base an aircraft in BOS. Thanks guys

Latest resources

Back