• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice to aspiring airline pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You think just because you have your 2,000 hrs PIC you'll be able to pick and choose which mainline carrier you want to go to? Next thing you know, you're 50 years old and still working for Mesa, waiting for a lick of that brass ring over at SWA where you'll finish off as an FO. Sorry, you gotta pay bills whether you're flying for a dirt bag like Ornstein or raking it in at Emirates. Paying dues was a thing of the 90's. It's everyone for themselves in today's market. Get on with someone you can spend a career with and have a decent lifestyle. The only thing you're guaranteed when you sell your soul to Mesa or Colgan is that you're working for one dirtbag operation.

Plotting out your aviation career is like drawing a line on water.

Co doug how do you get on with someone decent without PIC time?

Co doug how do you get on with someone decent without PIC time?

My point was, when given the choice between a second and first tier regional, go with the first tier because you'll make better cash. On the flipside, if the market goes tits up again, you're somewhat covered because you can end up making pretty decent money at places like Eagle, COex, Republic, et al.

The only thing you're guaranteeing yourself when you hire on with one of the bottom feeders is that you're taking the worst pay in the 121 world.

This is coming from me, a pretty staunch conservative in my decisions. Some people like taking risks like that, I don't. You don't like it, go suck a lemon.

***Not to single out Mesa and Colgan, but to also include Gulfstream, Great Mistakes, Regions, etc, etc, etc...

My point was, when given the choice between a second and first tier regional, go with the first tier because you'll make better cash. On the flipside, if the market goes tits up again, you're somewhat covered because you can end up making pretty decent money at places like Eagle, COex, Republic, et al.

The only thing you're guaranteeing yourself when you hire on with one of the bottom feeders is that you're taking the worst pay in the 121 world.

This is coming from me, a pretty staunch conservative in my decisions. Some people like taking risks like that, I don't. You don't like it, go suck a lemon.

***Not to single out Mesa and Colgan, but to also include Gulfstream, Great Mistakes, Regions, etc, etc, etc...

I was with Colgan for 6 years. My soul is quite intact, last time I checked. My QOL was equal to or better in many ways compared to the SJS regionals. I was home every night and I was flying 34 seater for 34 seat pay.
But the bottom line is, it was what I made it. Put my time in and moved on, no regrets.

Lemons/Limes

Co doug, What are saying? What if a first tier is not available, should you sit on the sidelines instead of building time for your next job? How about when you are between jobs because your last airline just closed the doors, do you not take any job you can get while trying to find another good job? Worst pay is better than no pay while looking for the next job. BTW I like sucking on limes after I take them out of an empty Corona bottle, need taste.

Last edited:
Co doug, What are saying? What if a first tier is not available, should you sit on the sidelines instead of building time for your next job? How about when you are between jobs because your last airline just closed the doors, do you not take any job you can get while trying to find another good job? Worst pay is better than no pay while looking for the next job.

Are we still talking about aspiring airline pilots, YIP? Or furloughs and bankruptcies? Lets peel that orange on a different thread.

***Change in philosophy: If you can AFFORD going to a second tier airline, by all means. If you actually need the money...get on with an RJ operator.

Corona's pretty decent. I'm favoring our neighbor's to the north this month, just switched from Labatts to Moosehead
:beer:

Last edited:
Moderator, my word has been accepted as a Universal Truth. Please close this thread.

End Communication

Latest resources

Back